Beam vs Grapple, which is better for a intermediate player

I have been playing the game for a while and it is time for me to choose which setup to get. Here are a list of pros and cons about them:

Beam:
pros
-Stops gun as well as jumping
cons
-is easy to ej or cj against
-loses to deflector

Grappling hook:
pros
-very effective at stopping ejing and cjing as well as jumping
cons
-does not stop guns
-is somewhat useless against npcs

I just cant chose which to pick, they both seem to have big problems in combat. Right now I am swaying towards the beam, but id like to hear your opinion.

Tractor Beam is much more useful for combatting NPCs where there is tangible benefit in stopping them from shooting you (decreases repair expenses). Grappling hooks are much more popular in PvP as most fleets are seeking to drag ships away from the enemy fleet's technicians.
It's on rare occasion that a fleet is seeking to stop another player's gun and movement.

ryry20
I have been playing the game for a while and it is time for me to choose which setup to get. Here are a list of pros and cons about them:
Beam:
pros
-Stops gun as well as jumping
cons
-is easy to ej or cj against
-loses to deflector
Grappling hook:
pros
-very effective at stopping ejing and cjing as well as jumping
cons
-does not stop guns
-is somewhat useless against npcs
I just cant chose which to pick, they both seem to have big problems in combat. Right now I am swaying towards the beam, but id like to hear your opinion.

Assuming you are talking about solo ship or small hunting fleet I would say go with the hook. A beam is lethal in a large stack but a hook will let you kill solo or in a small hunt fleet. You can't kill without a hook solo in my experience. An example is my 4-battleship stack on grey with 3 hooks and a tech which has been giving solo terminus ships a good scare occasionally. If you can grap it you can kill it.
A hook can increase your farming earnings by yanking npcs out of an npc stack to an adjacent clear sector for killing then dipping back into the npc stack to grab another. Rinse and repeat. Its the ability to not be sitting in a sector full of npcs resulting in less healing so you accumulate rez faster. It is also handy for pulling npcs out of an "intersection" sector where you are more likely to encounter a pvp hunt stack

I use beam and love it. So bias towards it. That said there are limitations.Vs the wrong person you are screwed with beam and can't attack. It's maximum using a 3 sec gun normal and a reaper is 49.5 . Vs npc or guys without a deflector it's very useful. Perma stun isn't quite possible but you can lock them in place pretty effectively. Also useful during Garry Defense.
Grap used in every invy and always wanted for pvp. You can also get very high grap chance compared to beam. But for farming not great.
Both have their place in a fleet or small stack.
Another option is critial chance set up. You need a good to hit chance which is hard at lower levels. You also need crit chance higher than crit damage for it to be effective. That said its used in any situation except for roiding.
I'm sure others can chime in.

I guess i'd qualify as intermediate. I like my stun setup.
I'm lvl 55.5ish running a prec cabal II and a leg beam on an anni. Can look me up in armory. It's not the fanciest setup but it's pretty good.
I tried running a grap before but it's not that handy for farming. Beam has uses in a lot of places.
The main thing that I don't like so much about the beam setup is not being able to shoot carriers. Ooooh sometimes you wanna shoot them so bad. :) Not having a grap to stop someone from CJ/EJ on you is also a giant pain.
I'm a casual player so in the big scheme of things the stun setup is more useful to me.

Eventually you will want both. If you are solo farming black or the rift I would go with the beam. Because in the long run it will make you more money.
If you are doing invasions.... You need a grap.
For Pvp ask your corp what would get you involved faster.

Flair1239

Ask your corp what would get you involved faster.

This is the best piece of advice you could have gotten.
Edit: Oh, that hilarious. If you're going to thumb me down, save it for the merge suggestion thread.

Hook is actually very useful for farming and pvp! Jump in, grab an npc and drag to empty sector. Repeat. Beam is nice but you take damage from other npcs in sector unless you just jump around and find solo npcs. Also, in pvp a hook is pretty easy to use no worries about hitting a deflector and carriers are open season as well.

Id say for solo: get a hook. You can use it to escape stacks. (Pull driver, driver cant move for 5 sec) and run.

WhiteLance
Id say for solo: get a hook. You can use it to escape stacks. (Pull driver, driver cant move for 5 sec) and run.

Imo you don't plan a build based on hitting stacks.
If he is solo...no tech... Any 5+ hunt stack is going to kill him.
If you were planning around stack survivability...then a deflector would be a much better choice coupled with a floor speed build.