Gaia-V on gold

Whisperwalk
There should not be any merger between gold and unity. It will destroy the vast majority of corps in existence, as they are forced to cram into the Big Allies cap of 8. The entire server will be forced into 2 corps max. And god forbid the corps that choose to stay outside of Big Allies. They will be rolled by the Big Allies into non existence.
Presently a merger does nothing except reunite alts, since everyone in gold is a unity player, and native gold players dont exist yet. But even if steam brings in hundreds of active players, corps in gold will not reach the footing of unity for many years, especially if carriers are banned.
A merger will only be a viable thing to even THINK about if:
1) The number of players in Gold is comparably as large as Unity
2) The corps have comparably large garrisons (and look at the five XX and two XIX's in Unity)
3) The average gearscore is not too far apart
Unless these three things happen, there's no reason to consider a merge at all.

What? Blasphmey! Merger is only option !

Ozymandias
We could make Gold a non-carrier server.
Hell no. That will make it much weaker when it is merge time.
Temporary sure but not permanent.
Edit: I was scrolling through the developer posts and this is what caught my eye first. Temporary restrictions are ok, but should be removed at least 3 months before a merge.

Carriers were fun when they were difficult to get, last night a fleet of 100 ships, 30+ were in carriers, and that's a low estimate. Carriers don't mean anything anymore, people slap em on Alts just cause they have nothing else to spend credits on.

Ozymandias
We could make Gold a non-carrier server.

This please.
I think the game is more dynamic without carriers.

Would it be possible to allow carriers and simply do away with fleet leadership and even swap the ultimate deflector with a built in +50 stun resist or something? Then, when a future merger happens just switch it back?

Ozy can we unlock rp annihilators please, we hit gaia v!

Ozzy did always state he intended to merge gold with unity . I found it strange when most vets that went to gold would sell there gear for cheap knowing this was gonna happen . Reason I gave up on gold , was just a mini grey that will lead into grey eventually . Big grats on gaja v though , very freaking impressive and so damn quick ( yeah that's what she said ) either way won't make a lot of difference . If Ozzy merges most will quit . If he doesn't different server so best of luck

spudplug
Ozzy did always state he intended to merge gold with unity . I found it strange when most vets that went to gold would sell there gear for cheap knowing this was gonna happen . Reason I gave up on gold , was just a mini grey that will lead into grey eventually . Big grats on gaja v though , very freaking impressive and so damn quick ( yeah that's what she said ) either way won't make a lot of difference . If Ozzy merges most will quit . If he doesn't different server so best of luck

Only reason games merge servers are because of population problems, when steam come's (lol) and I hear a prediction of 0.0008% of its population should try tib, then there won't be a problem of not enough players. I heard the number 400k players being thrown around somewhere.
Either ozy looks at it in 2017 and says we need to merge or he looks at it and says it's good as it is. I am fine with either, as long as the population increases as predicted then I see no reason for a merge, it wouldn't make sense to merge the current player bases, they are two of the same.

Agreed, West.
If the population is so damn huge on gold because all the new players are going there, I won't care what happens as far as a merge or new server. I just want new players.

Ozymandias
We aren't discussing Gold Server merger. It's not even a consideration until 2017.
I worry that creating special Carrier rules will get us stuck in the same situation we had before with Red vs Everyone Else. It made it difficult to balance equipment or make any other changes, because people had invested heavily into Carrier equipment for their specific rules.
Instead of saying "No Carriers" let's call it "Delayed Carriers". I want to see how the game is without any Carriers at all first, then we can try unlocking them based on whatever rules the community wants -- Or you guys might decide you like the game without it.

im curious on why does it matter how the game is without carriers? not like u can just take em out now. to many have invested way way to much into them. and unless its 100% certain gold will never merge into unity to make gold a no carrier or even modified carrier stat server would just again like u said handicap and again cause a hugh issue with gear choices.
im not on gold at all so what ever happens in gold stays in gold imo. but if this "lets see how the game is without carriers" idea has any back of ur mind thought about removing carriers affects us all potentially.