What I don't see

I've spent some time in the rift now, and there are things that I never see.

Boss bandit, wandering around between rifties. Or, a dread bandit. Ditto with defenders, marauders, or several other smaller NPC's. If I stumble over a boss or a dread, it's always an enforcer, reaper, or predator. As a rule, if I meet a dread, I just run from it, because I'm not rifty equipped. If I meet a boss, I kill it, with little problem.

If there were dread drones, then I would take the quarter second extra to actually read what the thing is, then decide to kill it - or run. And, that extra moment might get me killed, or not.

I'm just wondering why the only dreads flying freely about are the biggest of the dreads? Are the little guys scared? Is it an oversight? Is there some difficulty in coding them into the game?

For balance, I would think that more boss and dread NPC's would be found in the rift. Maybe the frequency is alright, but the variety seems off. Then again, maybe the frequency of stumbling over boss and dread NPC's could be increased a little, if the variety were improved.

Also, why are there no pirate NPCs flying round in Despoilers and Annihilators?
And why don't we see NPCs from different factions attacking each other? Would be hilarious to stumblensure into the middle of a big Het vs Wyrd brawl.

ProjectX
Also, why are there no pirate NPCs flying round in Despoilers and Annihilators?
And why don't we see NPCs from different factions attacking each other? Would be hilarious to stumblensure into the middle of a big Het vs Wyrd brawl.

Well, the NPC vs NPC is easily explained. Some rather complicated coding, and heavy CPU use at the server, for little real gain. The CPU use is probably the real killer on that idea. But, it would be more realistic if the factions feuded. You would think that the pirates would be least likely to attack us, and they would sometimes come to our aid against a fleet of Wyrd or Het. But, imagine the potential for lag, while the server ran all the AI's to determine which faction was victorious in a twelve sector cluster!
And, unless the NPC's dropped stuff when they killed each other, we, the players, would see no gain at all.

I would love to see npc vs npc battles. As afar as the application infrastructure is concerned I think there are ways around it if what you described is accurate. Why not have smaller scale skirmishes when invasions touch? You could even similate this with another much smaller server. It is the scale of having it in every sector that is prohibitive. Who cares if they drop anything other than resources I just wanna see them shooting each other.

And why can we follow assassins! It's all wrong! I quit

And why don't we see the Het, Wyrd and Pirate vets in the forum qqing about game balance because their clusters are constantly being rolled by HS and Bamf? I vote for npc bust and strike capability being introduced!
;-)

janissary

For balance, I would think that more boss and dread NPC's would be found in the rift. Maybe the frequency is alright, but the variety seems off.

I heard there was a time when people would stack up to farm rift because it was scary. More dreads with more variety means rift is scary again. You'll also gain some satisfaction when you have adequate gears to finally farm rift solo.

janissary

As a rule, if I meet a dread, I just run from it, because I'm not rifty equipped.

I'm a noob and run like the wind when I see dread enf or reaper too, but here's a tip: Dread preds are easier to kill than you think.

Steelix

janissary

For balance, I would think that more boss and dread NPC's would be found in the rift. Maybe the frequency is alright, but the variety seems off.

I heard there was a time when people would stack up to farm rift because it was scary. More dreads with more variety means rift is scary again. You'll also gain some satisfaction when you have adequate gears to finally farm rift solo.

janissary

As a rule, if I meet a dread, I just run from it, because I'm not rifty equipped.

I'm a noob and run like the wind when I see dread enf or reaper too, but here's a tip: Dread preds are easier to kill than you think.

Time changes things - sometimes quickly, sometimes not so quickly. As mentioned, I multibox. I've started killing some dreads when I find them. Yeah, pred isn't all that hard. Enforcers and reapers are pretty dangerous, I've suffered a couple deaths at their hands.
Given some more time, a few more levels, and a couple annis, I'll be safer in the rift. Haven't gotten any real good drops from them yet, but I can kill them now.