My Review of TiB

This game was recommended to me by a friend. And i dont just do a review on a game without first giving the game a fair chance. So here i am 2 weeks into the game and this was my experience

im absolutely positive this review will get negative feedback. if you are new. read on, you will want to know this stuff before you devote any time to a game like this.

day 1. i logged in for my first time. the graphics werent all that great, the gameplay was very simple. i did the tutorial and learned the very basics to the game. the chat system was lighting up with players trash talking between multiple different servers. but it wasnt over the top. casual trash talk between gamers. thats normal.

It wasnt until an admin said some things to a new player who was asking for help that i had a bad feeling about this game. the player was trying to learn, and people mocked them for asking questions. i myself was mocked and trolled after being killed by a huge fleet of players. they said very sternly. get used to it noob.

those words were what drove me to get better

day2. i managed to find a great group of people. they invited me to their corp and taught me some key things about surviving in this game. it is very, very (insert 1 million very's) brutal on new players. and getting mad because of a bad situation seemed like part of daily gaming.

i still wasnt convinced that this game wasnt for me.

day3. I hopped on and decided best to do what the corp said and leveld up a bit and learned that i could play this game from my computer and not just on my phone/tablet. i installed it to my windows computer (get it from the website http://www.spellbook.com not steam! its way better) I learned that you can run multiple account to help you farm materials and credits/black dollars. the corp took me out on a few invasions which was what set the tone for the game for me from that point forward.

jets jump a few days ahead

day8. I recruited a few new players and decided it best to show them around and explain what i wish somebody had told me on my first day. it would have made things go much smoother. Everything was great until.... wait for it... a player vs player confrontation. now i was not very big at the time so leading a new player around "The Black" (player vs payer zone) which is like 90% of the game was a bad idea. the player completely destroyed me with his 7 alternate accounts fleeted up and then grappled the new player and dragged them half way across the map. trash talking them. belittling them. the new player messaged me asking for help but i was already dead. all i could do was watch in the server chat as everything unfolded. it was the worst experience any player could have endured, even a veteran would look down on what this player did to the newbie. what this player did to the newbie was so terrible the new player quit on the spot. and then the player that attacked us trolled and laughed on the server chat. and he had quite a bit of support from his friends.

day10. i had the urge to play again and was calmed down because the situation that happened a few days ago was stuck in my mind. was it my fault it happened? what could i have done to prevent that situation? i dont know. but i was determined to get even with the guy who did it. infact i was obcessed with revenge on that player. what he did was intolerable and i am a very determined person in games. so i created a few more alternate accounts to assit me. it was very hard to play multiple accounts.

day 11,12,13. i leveled up my guys and outfitted them to the best of my ability. the game was the same old grind but for some reason i found it addictive. the corp i am with is an excelent group of people. they are always willing to help, always willing to do things with you. they are always looking for things to do. this made the game in my opinion awesome. but i still had that 1 newbie quit hanging over my head. my corp mates told me to just forget it because stuff like that happens a lot. and its true i have seen it with my own eyes so many times i quit counting and actually turned off the universe and server chats as to not be distracted by trash talk, trolling. and just down right mean people.

day 14. what a day today was. the best day of my life in The Infinite Black. I got revenge on the player that caused my new player to quit a week ago. i was so happy that i turned my server chat on and decided to mess with him. revenge and vengence was mine. it made every minute of farming worth it. my opinion of the game had changed again. the most satisfying feeling in the entire game is to stick it to one of the mean people in the game. and stick it to them in a way that will forever leave an imprint on their game life. now im not one for getting even but it felt so good to kill that guys hard core character which starts back at level 1 when you kill it. i got some really nice gear out of the deal. in server chat i said. Thanks for the gear bro! he cried for hours. i just watched as my corp laughed at him. the tables had turned. what a great day for me.

this experience is pretty much what you should come to expect if you play this game. bad things happen, you either quit, or go kill that mean person for what they did to you. or your friends for that matter.

i do hope you do not have to experience what i have. but my only advice is to expect it, that way you dont have a bad experience. or atleast the bad experience isnt as bad as it seems.

Welcome to "The Infinite Black"

I play on the gold server. best place for new players to learn.

Welcome to TiB. Looks like honest review. I see nothing that should rate negative feedback. Although, gaining revenge on a multi-boxer in only 2 weeks is to say the least challenging.
The game isn't for everyone, anyone who has played it should know that. Absolutely addictive for some people.
There are certainly douchebags on every server which has existed who enjoy trashing, and trash talking, noobs, or for that matter anybody they want to believe themselves superior to. It's fun when said douchebag dies, extra awesome if douchebags HC gets killed. Good job on that. No idea who you are talking about, doesn't matter to me. Revenge can be sweet. Just, don't become the next version of 'him'.
Many people turn off server and universe chat. I'm one of them, I have no interest in the mostly childish behavior frequently seen there. On occasion, at the urging of a corp-mate I'll turn it on to see a particular QQ-fest, but always turn it right back off. I don't need the distraction, it's neither interesting nor helpful to gameplay IMHO.

Good honest review. Well done. Glad you're enjoying the game.

Thanks for the honest feedback.
I fully acknowledge that there are many frustrations and bad experiences for new players. I've done a lot over the years to improve that (it used to be MUCH worse) but obviously some fundamental challenges still exist.
The game was designed to be punishing, in the same way that "Dwarven Fortress" or "Dark Souls" games can be punishing, but with the added complications of PvP and trash talking.
The only thing that really troubles me is that a moderator said something negative to a new player. Do you have any more information on this (who said it and what was said)? They are paid to be helpful and this should never happen.

Nice review, seems like not much have changed through the years. Fortunally the good people still outnumber the douchebags!

Nice review, theres still good honest pilots out there. Dont let those douchbags discourage you from becoming a great pilot your self. Enjoy and have fun :)

Ozymandias

The only thing that really troubles me is that a moderator said something negative to a new player. Do you have any more information on this (who said it and what was said)? They are paid to be helpful and this should never happen.

I think he means that he was getting help in chat from an admin, and other players were being trolly and not helpful (not that the admin was doing that.)

Amcilla

Ozymandias

I think he means that he was getting help in chat from an admin, and other players were being trolly and not helpful (not that the admin was doing that.)

That's how I read it too. I have never seen admins act trolly to people legitimately asking for help. In dealing with known trolls? Sure, and it's always entertaining.
Incognitodude: Good review. It took me longer than 14 days to have a great day if killing other ships, but I'm glad it worked out quickly for you. I have a few questions.
1. Would a walk through or help pop up windows have enhanced your experience when you just started out?
2. Would the ability to ask for membership in a corp from a menu have helped you get into a good group faster?
3. Do you use the wiki? If so, was it helpful? If not, why not?
These are topics that have been discussed on forums before so it's interesting to me to hear what a legit noob thinks. Have fun on gold.

Mithraeus

Amcilla

Ozymandias

That's how I read it too. I have never seen admins act trolly to people legitimately asking for help. In dealing with known trolls? Sure, and it's always entertaining.
Incognitodude: Good review. It took me longer than 14 days to have a great day if killing other ships, but I'm glad it worked out quickly for you. I have a few questions.
1. Would a walk through or help pop up windows have enhanced your experience when you just started out?
2. Would the ability to ask for membership in a corp from a menu have helped you get into a good group faster?
3. Do you use the wiki? If so, was it helpful? If not, why not?
These are topics that have been discussed on forums before so it's interesting to me to hear what a legit noob thinks. Have fun on gold.

honestly it would have helped having the grey mapped out in advance. almost all of my deaths to players happened because i stepped into the black while mapping the grey. they just swarmed like vultures.. waiting for you.
as for the admin. id rather itterate on that for a moment. there was a point in time the admin had the ability to stop the entire dispute that was going on. one would imagine its an admins job to spearhead a major altercation by simply saying. "guys, thats enough he is trying to learn" instead the admin said they would take away their talking priveledges. but yet it was only directed toward the newbie that was getting a hell of a verbal from like 20 people. i dont think the newbie understood that it was across all servers. and experienced players know that both servers have different game settings. maybe default the chat channel to sector instead of universe? or just their server? its not my job to moderate. so yeah. thats pretty much all ive got.
hope that helps clear up any confusion.

email me when you make a PVE server. the pvp and risk is just too much to not have a way to level up without being shown on the map by anybody who can afford it.
thats the final stab for me. im out.