An idea for making small ships viable to use in pvp- Support

I don't think it's a good idea to take a ship you can get within the first hour of playing the game, and make it on par or more powerful than a ship that takes some people years to get.

I don't think giving smaller ships a boost is a really bad idea, would add some variety to the game, but the termi costs 30k cp and the small ships are free. I don't think the small ships should be on the same level as the termi because you pay cp to get the termi.
If the small ships do get a boost it should cost something so the termi doesn't end up like the reaper where the benefits it gets are not worth it being bought because its too expensive. I mean why buy a termi if a shuttle is just as viable as a ship in pvp?
I suggested my support idea because if we do end up giving small ships a boost then I think people will just use the ship with the most ep that still gets the boost. So the titan, and maybe shuttles for the evasion. The reason I suggested the support ability idea is because it will give each ship a special ability so people will use a variety of ships in the battleground, and not just the biggest ship that gets the 80% damage boost.

If the termi gets nerfed I think a lot of people are going to get mad. That's why I suggested the support idea, it doesn't nerf termi at all, and small ships will still get used. It also adds more depth to the game than which bfg is better against what ship.

even just giving one small ship 90 hit chance another high crit chance
give one crit dmg.
make it high enough that someone could build around it if they wanted

If you want to make other ship types worth more remove the ship class requirement on specials or make it less of an obstacle. I'd love to use my SIN/GDRIVE again but don't want to rank specials that I currently use.

heerend
If you want to make other ship types worth more remove the ship class requirement on specials or make it less of an obstacle. I'd love to use my SIN/GDRIVE again but don't want to rank specials that I currently use.

Or even just redo the classes into small ship (titan and under) medium ship (flayer thru dev) and large ship (despo and up)

Some of these ideas could be pretty cool. Personally wouldn't mind seeing a ship with built-in hook, would sort of make sense, and if it was same EP as Reaper as well as cost. Built-in Scout might be cool but haven't given it too much thought.
Empowering the smaller ships could be neat, lot of variables though. I think some of the damage boost and reductions mentioned would be overpowered. 80% on anything is too much, even a shuttle. I know that stuff can be tweaked so not really worried about it yet. I can assure you if a shuttle had 80% bonus damage to termi, ships like vraga mentioned will absolutely be made. Even without the damage bonus, any ship can be made formidable. The way I see it ending up panning out is everyone will go for a mid-range ship so that it neither receives nor gives too much damage one way or the other, after the anti anni/termi fleets basically force the hand. Again, even without the damage bonus, shuttle can still whoop some ass. So even if you're not going against a ship that gives you the damage bonus, you're still set. With the gear that I currently have I could fairly easily make a shuttle 5k hull and crit 2,200, ndrive for 2.3 and 6 shuttles can kill most players without the damage boost. Going termi would have zero appeal and again, personally makes me start looking at the mid-range ships.
Damage scaled up and down with each ship versus each ship, and not just specifics like shuttle vs termi, might be a good way to go about it and would seem to imply a little more of the balance/counter, but I wouldn't let damage reduction play into any of it as it doesn't seem to make sense that a smaller ship would receive less damage from a large ship.
Side note: please consider implementing a :leadvision command that would allow us to utilize rescue technicians more and increase PVP. There are two other threads discussing ideas, would be huge plus. Thx!

Mithraeus

heerend

Or even just redo the classes into small ship (titan and under) medium ship (flayer thru dev) and large ship (despo and up)

I like that idea. Was thinking along the same lines of specials not being so cumbersome to swap around

How about if the boost special of smaller ships was minor per ship but could be summed from all of the similar ships in a stack, so 10 shuttles in a stack give allied ships a boost not achievable by simply including one 300 lvl shuttle.

Coming back to the original idea, which is the use of small ships in a battle.
What are the advantages of small ships compared to big ones: they do less damage but they are mobile and its difficult to hit them while a small can easily hit a big one.
The ratio should be that 5-10 small ships could, at the end, destroy a big one with 10-20% losses.
They simply need very high evasion score and capability to follow.
Another idea is to reserve area for a ship type, where a cruiser equipped with Rare can fight another cruiser equipped with Rare.
What is very frustrating in this game is that the "big guys" have all powers, all rights, they can kill and humiliate any other "normal" player.
So, the idea is to extend the principle of grey area : places where ships of equivalent levels can fight in a fair way.
Maybe the Big Fat Guys could come in and watch for advising and training recruits. Maybe not :-)