A few thoughts on spaceports

I think busting in general is bad. I'm hoping Ozys reimagining of it makes it better.
Look at how exploitative the garri system is in general. Nano garries abound, which allows folks like me to pad their garri busting stats. The nano garries themselves allow an exploit of the nanotechnology system, which costs spellbook money in the form of repairs. It has also allowed marketers, myself included, to cheaply repair gear and suck more credits away from both noobs and vets. There's a deploy cost, but if it's the right type of gear and the right volume then that's just a cost of doing business.
Then the garris for the active corps, for which they were originally designed, confer perks. Corp members get used to those perks, so when their garri is down they don't bother to log in because they don't get as much xp, resources, etc. It allows the top alliance to wreck the game for every other alliance if they so choose. I've had it done to me by several alliances and I'm helping to do it now to an alliance. I will continue to do it until the system changes, and I know I'm not alone in that.
I have a couple change suggestions that can fix that part of the game, which I've felt was out of kilter since I started playing.
1. Garri perks stay active whether the garrison is deployed or not with a few exceptions. My thoughts would be defensive perks, naturally, and nano repair. That way there is an impetus to redeploy.
2. Anyone logged at a rolled garri is automatically placed at earth. Obviously that wouldn't apply to hcs.
Those two changes would enable people to log in and farm without worrying about the garrison. Most of this game is farming, so that would keep a majority of ships in play. It seems like an easy fix that would increase player retention dramatically.
Or Ozy could rely on people like me to stop being jerks, but we've seen how that works out.

I do not like Garrison Engagements in their current form.
The problem is that I've basically written a (boring) pre-scripted event with little variation or room for player ingenuity, and it's never going to be balanced because the rules are static and can be min/maxed gamed.
Kickstarter backers will get to test new concepts. The first one we're going to try lets corporations stock the Garrison with ships (large and small) which deploy when attacked, and you can equip them however you want. The deployed ships use a new AI code, can move multiple sectors, will chase enemies, and use fleet stack strategies. It won't just be a Defense Platform replacement.
That's only one idea. We'll experiment with several and you guys decide what works best.

That sounds pretty awesome. That would allow newer players to contribute ships and more people to attack garrisons. That alleviates another big problem with busting and defense, which is that newer players are often excluded.

It might also make attacking more fun. I'm working on a "strike group" builder where corps set how ships are deployed from the Garrison.
The Garrison would launch enough strike groups to match the enemy, but not vomit out hundreds of ships at once (unless the enemy had hundreds of ships).
Attackers will fight waves of defenders and both sides would earn PvP rewards for being involved, even if an offline defender.
Destroying the Garrison requires depleting its strike groups first. This system will also be used with new NPC bosses.
New corporate technologies increase the size and number of strike groups.

Scalable gb that can have hundreds of ships?
That sounds epic.
NPC bosses? That sounds pretty awesome too.

So, garrisons could possibly be more reactive vs enemy ships? Say a noob, like myself, was mapping and came within scanning range without stealth of the garrison, and the garrison could send a "strike" fleet out to either pop or make me run like hell to leave the area without being able to map exactly where the garrison was. Like an automated fire system control all within scanning range.
hopefully that makes sense

Garrisons would likely still be reactive as they are now. You'd have to attack something they care about.

A cool new perk would be "early warning system." It would allow the garri to detect ships within one sector. It wouldn't give an enemy count but would change colors like orange to yellow to red. It would just warn folks at that garrison that there are ships off point and they could face trouble.

moved to strike