Remove Alliance and Add Faction

I'd like to get everyone's feedback on an idea we've been discussing.
Instead of corporations joining a player-made Alliance, there would be two or three permanent Factions. Each Corporation would join a faction, and could change factions once per week.
The faction with the lowest population would get a damage bonus to promote balance.
Corporations would all gain a Planet, along with their Garrison and Outposts. Each Solar System map could have 1 planet in it -- The solar system would be considered "captured" by that Faction. Planets grant a tech bonus to all Faction members in that solar system.
Players not in a corporation would join the "Privateer" faction, giving them a built-in default Alliance.
This would mean each Corporation can build an Emperor Class ship as well, instead of each Alliance.
Thoughts? Ideas? What would you like to name the factions?

It's Def food for thought I wonder why the week limitation on switching? I like the idea of each corp getting a king ship. Could we have 6 factions instead of three? 3 seems really limited.. Good, Evil, inbetween, neutral... at least 4....

That sounds awesome!
So skulls would be per corp, not per alli?
How would gb work? Clusters or no?

The idea is to provide a consistent community for all players at any time of the day. More factions split up the population without providing any additional benefits.
Corps shouldn't be able to switch between factions constantly. It needs to be a thoughtful and strategic decision. If the cooldown is too short corps will just switch any time they're losing, instead of fighting.
Corporations could still deploy Garrisons (and outposts) in clusters if they want. It might be more beneficial to spread out to capture more Solar Systems, however. There will be competition for space to deploy your planet.

Ozymandias
The idea is to provide a consistent community for all players at any time of the day. More factions split up the population without providing any additional benefits.

This alone would be worth it in my opinion.

can we call them arrays instead of factions the word faction seems over used....maybe unions... also defined faction means small group array means large group.

I still think the factions should be linked to the npc classes in the game. So you have a Wyrd, Het, Pirate, Privateer/Terrestrial faction and whatever new classes get introduced later. Gives more options rather than just the 2. And I'll echo Mithraeus...how will clusters be formed and what will be corp cap?

Grizellus
I still think the factions should be linked to the npc classes in the game. So you have a Wyrd, Het, Pirate, Privateer/Terrestrial faction and whatever new classes get introduced later. Gives more options rather than just the 2. And I'll echo Mithraeus...how will clusters be formed and what will be corp cap?

bad thing is there will be new factions in the new game so huppos and more I Don't want to lose new enemies to join an old pirate faction....

Corporations could still deploy Garrisons (and outposts) in clusters if they want. It might be more beneficial to spread out to capture more Solar Systems, however. There will be competition for space to deploy your planet.[/quotepost]
I like the overall idea a lot. However, I don't think a solar system should be captured based on a corporations planet deployed there. We should be able to capture a solar system by the number of segments in the 15 × 15 map owned captured by your faction (Also like union better). A single player can capture a cell bases on how long he stays in that cell. The more ships (corp/faction fleet)in that cell, the fast it is to take ownership. The faction (or npc) owning the most cells in the 15x15 map has control of that system. A planet deployed could add bonuses for that faction. Like reducing time it takes to capture a cell. Or increase time it takes for enemy to capture a cell. This way we can clearly see who controls the universe and creates a constant fight over real estate.

just seems like omni tek or the clans or neutral... was hoping to see something new.