Expansion

Hey Ozy, hope you’re doing well :)

GameLoft recently released a rework of their popular game “minion rush” - it’s essentially an expansion and converts historic progress into the new format.

It’s been utterly disastrous and players have all but abandoned the game in droves. Plenty of examples: https://forum.gameloft.com/viewtopic.php?f=2329&t=657185

Their biggest mistake was devaluing existing game assets in a non-too cleverly disguised attempt at getting people to part with their hard earned. I think if people had been asked to part with cash for new upgrades and features they would have done so happily... but there’s a massive resentment at the perception of paying again for what has already been earned.

Really it’s just a matter of perception because new features etc do also devalue your existing assets - but it’s how it feels emotionally that matters.

I hope this observation is useful to you.

GG

You guys will get a chance to experience the expansion, then tell me what you think is the best way to merge existing stuff. There are a lot of new items, but it's all balanced with the existing stuff. Nothing should become "bad".
The only issue I can think of is the new Quality rating on items. It's part of the crafting system and makes items slightly better or worse with a 10% variance max.
We'll want to import your items with a high quality value, but not maximum (called Masterwork) so it doesn't devalue the new crafting system. We can work together to figure it out so everyone is happy. Maybe a few items can be imported as Masterwork?

I think the big question is how to not upset the player base from current tib vs how to attract new players that don’t feel so far behind after they start a game and realize we have a leg up on them.

GMonk
I think the big question is how to not upset the player base from current tib vs how to attract new players that don’t feel so far behind after they start a game and realize we have a leg up on them.

Easy answer is don't let the two mingle much.
Level cap off lower areas. At the same time give them something to do that the higher level guys can't do well.
Farming items in lower areas to sell to high levels for stuff only high levels can get.

Ozymandias
You guys will get a chance to experience the expansion, then tell me what you think is the best way to merge existing stuff. There are a lot of new items, but it's all balanced with the existing stuff. Nothing should become "bad".
The only issue I can think of is the new Quality rating on items. It's part of the crafting system and makes items slightly better or worse with a 10% variance max.
We'll want to import your items with a high quality value, but not maximum (called Masterwork) so it doesn't devalue the new crafting system. We can work together to figure it out so everyone is happy. Maybe a few items can be imported as Masterwork?

Thanks for the reply Ozy... and it’s appreciated that you want the players involved.
My personal thoughts are to liquidate the existing players progress (xp, gear, elites, etc). Use XP as an example... if I had 3 ships, I could “spend” all their combined XP into 1 very high level ship or alternatively spread it evenly over 5 new ships.
Similarly with gear, I could get all my ultis back at a “high quality” or sacrifice some items to get 1 Masterwork and be left with some poor quality items.
This way everyone gets what they want within the bounds of what they have spent / earned in the old game. The difficult bit is figuring out a baseline in the new game (ie if you recover everything you own exactly as you have in the old game... where does that sit in the context of the new game, I would say above middle but not top).

Could you eliminate the :ignore option in the new game so spies don't develop? Instead implement soft bans..no chat for an hour or something. Which means, you must have mods 24/7 guaranteed. I realize with my current playing style, this could be detrimental to me. It's a good sacrifice.