Had an idea for a different sort of Corporation while prowling the Black solo.
What about creating an option: The Mercenary Corporation?
Consider this: A Corp that supplements its income by 'renting' out its members for a variety of tasks.

In terms of "Cui Bono" (who benefits?) nearly the whole game universe gets something, but it'd be especially helpful to the New Player Experience as well as to new/small established Corporations, especially those without Alliance connections.
Folks would be charged on a varied scale according to what they need. For example, a brand new noob could hire a low level Merc to farm with them in the Gray for a short time, helping them get their feet wet and be introduced to some of the game mechanics by someone who already has this knowledge. Or they could opt to hire a Merc with a bit more experience who could coach them on other matters such as basic ship and equipment setups, point out options/dangers or could just mentor them for a bit.
Right now, it's sort of 'sink or swim' for noobs. The game complexity can be daunting. I haven't been playing very long at all. That said, I've learned things that could have helped me during the first day or two of playing if only I'd been aware of them. The TIB Community is helpful in answering questions, there's the Wiki and this Forum, but nothing beats hands on learning - on the job training, if you will. Mercs could provide that and it could make the difference which keeps noobs around long enough for the game to get under their skin and convince'em to stay.
The next class of players who could benefit from this sort of operation is the newly minted Rank 15 who's got to start prowling the Black. (An addendum to this is the player that prefers to solo longer (I was one of those.)) Although by this time, many or even most players are in a Corp, there are still possible uses for the Merc.
An example would be players not in a Corp yet that could hire a Merc to walk them through a Black farming operation, pointing out some of the dangers and pitfalls or being the extra gun that helps when they run into more advanced bad guys. This would give the new 15 the opportunity to earn better rewards by being able to tackle better or multiple bad guys. The Merc could mentor them in the ways of the wild, giving them more confidence in their ability as well as the increased rewards that go with it.
The loner could use the Merc the same way, as a wingman that provides security while learning the ropes and enabling them to tackle bigger threats to reap bigger rewards.
Those players already in a Corporation could benefit in many of the same ways. While I'm sure that most Corps would prefer to train their new recruits themselves, they could be won over to hire the Merc outfit to run a sort of 'boot camp' for their prospects, which would free their members to do more profitable things while their recruit is getting trained to a basic level, both operationally and in the rudiments of Corporate life.
A good example of why this could benefit Corps too, is my own training when I got into a Corporation. I had a Super Lead, a Lead and a Rank 40 or so train me in many of the ins and outs. While that was certainly valuable to me, it wasn't necessarily so for the Corp. Their experience/ability/equipment could have been used much more productively for things besides teaching me the basics. Nutz, a Merc could do that. :)
New/small Corps could hire Mercs to temporarily fill gaps in their membership roles so they could do things like invasions or what have you that they'd otherwise have to wait on. They could also use the Mercs as scouts for new recruits to their ranks.
And any individual can find times when they could use help and there are no available Corp members to help them. Example: Was on late and only 2 of us were online, a Lead and poor me. I found a pod of 3 Elite Enforcers that I was able to pen up but not kill. I asked for help but he was tied up. Would have been great to have Dial-a-Merc available.
This new type of Corporation need not be something unique. Existing Corps could take on the role and fold it into what they're currently doing. In fact, I could see it being something that the more aggressive Corps could take on which would be a huge boon to Black farmers. Currently, folks working in the Black are subject to ambush by those very same outfits. If, instead, those Corps provided security and not murder, things would be soooo much more pleasant.
That scenario also opens up a brand new PvP opportunity for those Corps and others. Example: Dial-a-Merc is hired to protect a group of farmers. The Black Zone Rangers ambush them, voila! Combat and the associated rewards.
There are lots and lots of other possibilities and uses for Mercenary outfits. The best thing about it is the game mechanics are already all in place. There's really nothing for the Devs to do except implement it. It's sort of 'plug and play.' Nutz, it doesn't even have to be an official implementation, any Corporation could hang out their Mercenary shingle tomorrow.