Garrison Balance Suggestion

1. Disable novas on garrisons. This used to be a tactic for when we couldn't defend due to lack of defenders or lack of damage. Right now it seems to be the primary defense for taking out carrier tanks. Before you get upset at this suggestion, read the rest.

2. Disable rams on garrisons. Or add a damn cooldown. Skipping back and forth between garrisons isn't fun.

3. Create new garrison technologies. This has been long overdue. I'm thinking of defense orientated techs such as:

*+5% radiation, which would slowly drain the hulls of attacking ships.

*+20%/40%/60% defender damage. This tech would sacrifice a single plat for every increase in damage. There has to be a drawback for gaining thousands of damage onto attackers. Defense would come down to being able to successfully pop enough attackers before the garrison falls, with failures possibly costing you your garrison. Defense would be exciting instead of ramming your attackers until failure or shooting a deflector to make yourself explode.

*Smart plats. Upgraded plats could randomly switch onto other important targets, such as the tech, distracting them with healing themselves and taking some of their focus away from the team. They could also get cooldown resets, so garrison engagements aren't so predictable.

Keep in mind that these percentages may not be balanced and will have to be tested. These are just my ideas. Feel free to agree, disagree, or add something.

Very good ideas...But Sorry to break it to you, but we're on our own here.
It's pointless if mods dont ask for player solutions for this.. they more onto working with tibx..

Ideas are good Reign, but we even have yet to get stats on fission or fusion drives etc.. Doubtful any high scale changes like this would happen.

UnseenReign
1. Disable novas on garrisons. This used to be a tactic for when we couldn't defend due to lack of defenders or lack of damage. Right now it seems to be the primary defense for taking out carrier tanks. Before you get upset at this suggestion, read the rest.
2. Disable rams on garrisons. Or add a damn cooldown. Skipping back and forth between garrisons isn't fun.
3. Create new garrison technologies. This has been long overdue. I'm thinking of defense orientated techs such as:
*+5% radiation, which would slowly drain the hulls of attacking ships.
*+20%/40%/60% defender damage. This tech would sacrifice a single plat for every increase in damage. There has to be a drawback for gaining thousands of damage onto attackers. Defense would come down to being able to successfully pop enough attackers before the garrison falls, with failures possibly costing you your garrison. Defense would be exciting instead of ramming your attackers until failure or shooting a deflector to make yourself explode.
*Smart plats. Upgraded plats could randomly switch onto other important targets, such as the tech, distracting them with healing themselves and taking some of their focus away from the team. They could also get cooldown resets, so garrison engagements aren't so predictable.
Keep in mind that these percentages may not be balanced and will have to be tested. These are just my ideas. Feel free to agree, disagree, or add something.

How would you handle a bunch of high level tanked carriers with those changes? Aside from watching them rip through your cluster?
Every one of those ideas isn't going to help. Doesn't matter if you can hit for 100% more dmg. You're hard pressed to find a handful of people to defend at off hours.
Also, it totally ignores the fact that defense being weak isn't the problem in the first place and hasn't been for a very long time. There's a reason carrier tanks came to be.
Right now short of wearing tanks(countered by beams), hitting at off hours, or having a star port on garrison(still not a guarantee). A group of xxx decent bfgs can each crit for about 3-4k each if not more. So you'd be able to defend with your changes, providing the busters don't come in high level carrier tanks with a good beam or two.

But you'd only need a handful of ships each hitting with a 60% bonus to do stupid amounts of damage. So lets say you got a group that can normally hit for 3-4k. Lets go with 3k for arguments sake. Now their hit range is 4800 to 6400.
What is going to survive a volley like that besides a)tanked carrier, b)tanked termi. Now you can, as has been the case for years, stop tanked termis with a beam.
So, no. None of those ideas take into account the original problem and will make things even worse, IF THAT'S EVEN POSSIBLE AT THIS POINT.
I agree there needs to be change. I'm also aware nothing is going to happen given current circumstances.
Those ideas are knee jerk and don't address the underlying problem. Novas are dumb. Needing tanked carriers is dumb. Defense is overpowered.

Xariol

How would you handle a bunch of high level tanked carriers with those changes? Aside from watching them rip through your cluster?
Every one of those ideas isn't going to help. Doesn't matter if you can hit for 100% more dmg. You're hard pressed to find a handful of people to defend at off hours.
Also, it totally ignores the fact that defense being weak isn't the problem in the first place and hasn't been for a very long time. There's a reason carrier tanks came to be.
Right now short of wearing tanks(countered by beams), hitting at off hours, or having a star port on garrison(still not a guarantee). A group of xxx decent bfgs can each crit for about 3-4k each if not more. So you'd be able to defend with your changes, providing the busters don't come in high level carrier tanks with a good beam or two.

But you'd only need a handful of ships each hitting with a 60% bonus to do stupid amounts of damage. So lets say you got a group that can normally hit for 3-4k. Lets go with 3k for arguments sake. Now their hit range is 4800 to 6400.
What is going to survive a volley like that besides a)tanked carrier, b)tanked termi. Now you can, as has been the case for years, stop tanked termis with a beam.
So, no. None of those ideas take into account the original problem and will make things even worse, IF THAT'S EVEN POSSIBLE AT THIS POINT.
I agree there needs to be change. I'm also aware nothing is going to happen given current circumstances.
Those ideas are knee jerk and don't address the underlying problem. Novas are dumb. Needing tanked carriers is dumb. Defense is overpowered.

The game has always been adapting to defense. Deflectors, novas, high evade, tanks. I made these suggestions assuming that carrier tanks are here to stay, simply because defenders deal too much damage for any non tanked ship to handle it. A decent defender team can put out 20k damage like nothing. A really good team (prec/ulti xxx) can put out 30k per volley. I miss when we'd bust in termis, but I don't think we could go back to that with the amount of damage being dealt to attackers in engagements.

UnseenReign

The game has always been adapting to defense. Deflectors, novas, high evade, tanks. I made these suggestions assuming that carrier tanks are here to stay, simply because defenders deal too much damage for any non tanked ship to handle it. A decent defender team can put out 20k damage like nothing. A really good team (prec/ulti xxx) can put out 30k per volley. I miss when we'd bust in termis, but I don't think we could go back to that with the amount of damage being dealt to attackers in engagements.

Actually thanks to loss of high end players we can go back to that. It just requires error on defenders part. Like last night one group got a garrison with a star port on it with defense. The reason was simply the defenders picked a stupid defense strategy and stuck with it. Buster side went assuming they'd try one way but they didn't so the busters switched up and succeeded.
Having the game crap out in order to correct things is no answer though.