The Tales of Gabrielle Remy

PART I
"BEEP!....BEEP!"
"BEEP!....BEEP!"
He awoke to the lumpy rhythmic beeping of a heart monitor. Opening his eyes to cloud of white, he could make out a darker shape in the space above him. The outlines of the shape solidified--it was clearly a face, but he couldn't make out who it was. He squinted, his head buzzing like it contained a thousand bees, a throbbing feeling tugging at his temples.
He could hear a woman's voice. It was muted--off in the distance. She was saying his name:
"Rhagnarak?"
The white faded away to the grey ceiling. As he looked up the face became more clear. He reached his hand out to touch the face, suddenly realizing how hard it was to get his muscles to act. He whispered as his shaking fingers touched her cheek, "Katherine?"
He felt her warm hand clasp around his, holding it against her cheek a moment before taking it in both her hands, steadying it.
The voice that replied had a faint French accent to it. "Try a bit younger," she chuckled.
"Ah...Gabi!" Rhagnarak replied. "I hope ye'll forgive the yammerings of an old Widower coming out of uni-sleep!"
"No forgiveness needed," replied Gabrielle, “I'm just happy to see you awake. You were out quite a spell."
"Really?” Rhagnarak asked, "For how long?" His mind was trying to sit up, but his upper body would have none of it.
Gabrielle steadied him back against the bed, her hand pressing gently on his chest. "Easy Rhag., you were out nine months. The first reunification didn't take."
"Aw bloody 'ell!" Rhagnarak sighed. “I'll be here three months while they poke and prod me just to find out it couldn't have been helped!”
"Oh, it won't be that bad. I arranged for your convalescence to be at your home.”
"Really?!" Rhagnarak exclaimed in surprise. "Ye must have developed some serious pull to broker a plush arrangement like that for an old space-dog like me!"
Gabrielle laid his hand on his chest and turned, talking over her shoulder as she walked to the window. “A lot has happened while your consciousness was waiting for your body to catch up.” She pulled the blinds, exposing a gray haze overlooking the coast. She hesitated, her voice an odd mix of excitement and sorrow. “Y...You’ve taught me so much, Rhag. I owe you everything...but have quite some news.” She was fighting back tears now.
Rhagnarak replied gently. “Go on then, Gabi--I think this new ticker can take it.” He thumped his chest noisily, with a chuckle.
I….They’ve given me my own ship...I’m Captain of the Alison Murphy.” Gabi whirled around expectantly, looking through her tears, hoping for some sign of approval. “I...I told them I’d only take a ship under your fleet….I hope you don’t mind.”
Rhag’s eyes gleamed. “Mind?!” He broke into a deep belly laugh...broke short by a rough cough. Gabrielle eased back to his side. “Come now Gabi.” He reached up and grasped her shoulder, this time his hand was steady and firm as his eyes twinkled. “You’ve done made me right bloody proud, my dear! Right bloody proud. Ye know ye’ve been like a daughter to me. You’re as gentle and wise as Katherine was, yet tough as nails. Ye’ll make a splendid captain--and if I get you in meh own fleet, well, all the better!”
Gabrielle laughed and smiled, “I’m so relieved...I didn’t want it to be bad news for you, so soon after you woke, but I couldn’t wait to tell you.”
“Best news ye could’ve given me!” He tugged on her arm. “Now, help me sit up, I feel like I might like this body might not be a dud after all.”
She helped him up, and sat down beside him on the bed, steadying him as he got used to the new body.
“The Alison Murphy, eh?” He mused, “She’s a speedy Flayer-class ship, that one. Might come in handy.” He screwed up his face, deep in thought. Gabrielle would remember later there was a hint of irony in his look.
They talked pleasantly, Gabrielle getting the old space-dog up to speed on the happenings while he had been asleep. Before too long there was a knock at the door, and on Rhagnarak’s consent a corporation courier slipped in, handing him a sealed envelope.
Gabrielle raised an eyebrow. “A paper message? That’s pretty old school, even for you. Must be pretty confidential!”
“Aye,” Rhagnarak chuckled as he opened the envelope, his lack of surprise belying some foreknowledge--almost as if he had been expecting the letter. He read a few lines and set the note down.
“They’ve done it!” Rhagnarak whispered, staring straight ahead. He nodded to himself as a smile grew on his face.
“Done what?”
“They found a vital asset--one the corporation ‘ad written off long ago. It took a lot of string-tuggin’ to get them to dig deeper and reopen the search.” He turned and looked at her, his eyes intense and bright.
Gabrielle was intrigued. “Really?” I didn’t know you were so passionate about Corporation History.”
“Some History, my dear.” he replied,cocking his head with a sly grin. “In this case, it’s history worth recovering. And of it also comes a mission that’s a debt to an old friend.”
“How can I help?”
He sighed, sliding his legs down further over the edge of the bed, testing his feet against the floor. “There be no time to waste. What with all the bloody evals, I need to send someone ahead of me. I’ll need someone I can trust.”
He slipped off the bed, standing abruptly to face her as she stood herself, with a start. “Well, Captain Remy, it looks like ye have your first task under your new command.”
He slipped the envelope into her hands and whispered, “Mind ye, Gabi. This one’s a doozie. You’ll need some, er, ‘unconventional’ help, which I’ve pre-arranged.”
Gabrielle took the envelope and slipped it into her pocket. Eyes beaming, she stood straight and saluted. “I won’t let you down, Sir!”

Reserved for PART II

Reserved for PART III

Yuss! Keep it coming please!

Yes, Rhagnarak! Thank you for blessing us with more of your lore.