Halt!, who goes there?

Hello all,
I want to discuss everything that has to do with AI monsters. The foundation is great but it feels like its missing something (other than AI intelligence). Two main issues I would like to discuss, boss difficulty and reward vs risk.
The first current issue is the balance between squad sizes. There are two types of players, ones that like faster combat and less managing with squads, and ones that like the longer and larger fights. Neither type of player should have an advantage over the other, and both styles of play should be welcomed (especially since most F2P players will be running one squad for awhile). Here is the problem between the two types:
1 Squad: You have three choices of classes to play. If you want to survive long enough to dish out the amount of damage required to kill a boss, you are going to need a healer. No ifs or buts, and this reduces the amount of damage classes you have in combat. To be able to heal fast enough, now you need a haste mage. You are now stuck with 1 damage/tank with a healer and a haste mage. If your lucky with rolls, you will be able to kill a deity after an hour (I think I gave up and got bored after about 45 minutes). The only other way is to kite the boss around the map, which takes equally as long.
2-3 Squads. You now have 6 to 9 fighters that you can create the perfect fighter composition to fight a boss. The minions are easy to take out, now you are left with enough fighters that you can swarm the boss with a tank, 3 damage dealers, 2 healers, 2 haste mages, and your hero (Which is OP if using as a healer from not having gear restrictions). To prove a point, I ran a 9v9 with auto AI and won. It did take 586 turns because the AI is retarded, but they didn't lose (only 3 survived). I could NEVER do this with 1 squad. http://imgur.com/a/XA8pS
So how do we balance this so its fair for both types of players? There are many ways, but here is my suggestion. In short, nerf the boss types some, buff the followers.
Officers: have 2 normal minions follow them at all times.
Leaders: Have a new minion class called Guards (or whatever) and have two guards that protect the leader that are strong as an officer.
Deities: Have two guards that's protect the deity that are as strong as leaders.
This way, a single squad player can pick them off one at a time to get to the boss, or a multi-squad player actually has a challenge other than the boss.
This brings up another issue. When fighting minions it is actually a lot harder for multi-squad players than it is for single-squad players. Not because of difficulty, but the ability of finding multi-squad minions. We need some minion spawns that have other minion followers. This will also allow the ability to proficiently co-op with a friend, as it takes forever for minions to walk into a room with each other without finding a new spawn. Additionally, this wont effect single squad players, as they can pick them off one at a time if they want.
And the last topic I want to touch on today is loot. It feels very unrewarding to kill a boss and get the same loot as every other mob, with an increased chance of rarity. Risk vs reward is not there. So I have came up with an additional loot table for bosses. Please note that the additional loot table follows same rarity drop chance as minions, meaning, you will most likely get a common item. The new loot table is as follows:
Officers: Drop one uncommon item or above with one random item (rarity goes off normal chance to drop rate) from boss loot.
Leaders: Drop one rare item or above with one random item (rarity goes off normal chance to drop rate) from boss loot.
Deities: Drop one heroic item or above with one random item (rarity goes off normal chance to drop rate) from boss loot.
BOSS LOOT TABLE

REQUIRES OFFICER OR HIGHER TO DROP

- XP Potions: Need to make this dynamic, or too much of a pain in the arse to always rebalance if XP change, or balance for different levels. Remove all XP Potions from minion loot.
Common: 1% of level XP
Uncommon: 2% of level XP
Rare: 3% of level XP
Heroic: 4% of level XP
Legendary: 5% of level XP
Ultimate: 6% of level XP
- Rename Scroll: Random rename of a hero.
Common: 1 Uses
Uncommon: 2 Uses
Rare: 3 Uses
Heroic: 4 Uses
Legendary: 5 Uses
Ultimate: 10 Uses
- Repair Item Scroll: Repairs one item from inventory.
- Treasure Map: Remove all treasure maps (other than common/uncommon if you want to keep them) from minion loot.
Common: Has chance to drop common treasure chest or above. 250-500SP
Uncommon: Has chance to drop uncommon treasure chest or above, or ~1%/small chance to drop common non-human fighter. 250-500SP
Rare: Has chance to drop rare treasure chest or above, or ~2%/small chance to drop uncommon non-human fighter. 500-750SP
Heroic: Has chance to drop heroic treasure chest or above, or ~3%/small chance to drop rare non-human fighter. 750-1000SP
Legendary: Has chance to drop legendary treasure chest or above, or ~4%/small chance to drop heroic non-human fighter. 1000-2000SP
Ultimate: Has chance to drop ultimate treasure chest or above, or ~5%/small chance to drop legendary non-human fighter. 2000-5000SP

REQUIRES LEADER OR HIGHER TO DROP (Additional loot table added to the officer loot table)
- Reroll Stat Scroll: Rerolls one fighters stats (doesn't change rarity)
- Reroll Race Scroll: Doesn't change rarity, as it follows recruit fighter chances it is not recommended to use on non-human fighters.
- Recondition Scroll: Increases item max condition by 10
REQUIRES DEITY TO DROP (Additional loot table added to the leader/officer loot table)
- Fighter Enhance Scroll: One time use scroll that upgrades a fighter's rarity level.
Rare: Upgrade common fighter to uncommon.
Heroic: Upgrade uncommon or lower fighter to rare.
Legendary: Upgrade rare fighter or lower to heroic.
Ultimate: Upgrade heroic fighter or lower to legendary.
- Upgrade Item Space Scroll
Ultimate: Upgrade inventory space by 1.
- Upgrade Fighter Space Scroll
Ultimate: Increases fighter space by 1.
PS: Make item drops not lower than 1 level below dungeon level. It is already a pain in the arse to gear a fighter, let alone keep it geared for his/her level.

Agree with most. Maybe misunderstood one thing.
Do you mean to guarantee rarity of normal loot or boss loot?
If the first then I'm against guaranteed rarity loot.
If the second, not as much against it.

Reginee
Agree with most. Maybe misunderstood one thing.
Do you mean to guarantee rarity of normal loot or boss loot?
If the first then I'm against guaranteed rarity loot.
If the second, not as much against it.

The regular loot drops for bosses already have guarantees ;-) I just changed it around a little. Also... boss loot would be random. You also have to keep in mind of the respawn timers of deity's, I think they are around 12 hours. As the population increases.. it will be even harder to find one.

I made a few changes in this direction for the next update. Officers, Leaders, and Deities will drop multiple guaranteed items, such as XP potions, treasure chests, and treasure maps.
Some of the other suggestions are more work and will take longer to implement, but they're on my list.

To be able to heal fast enough, now you need a haste mage.

Or buff healers. :)