PvP (reprise)

Has enough time passed that I can raise the issue again that PvP is scarce and there is almost no reason to do it?

The map is so large compared to the population that outside of the central areas you rarely bump into anyone, and if you do, why would you attack? There's no gain, and losing costs dura and now also winning streak (which I suspect has contributed further to people's reluctance to PvP). The quests-with-PvP angle aren't encouraging it (people are either finding alternative routes to kills or simply ignoring those quests), and although I'm sure the PvP tournament will be popular, it doesn't really get my strategy gland going.

I'm sure you have reasons for not wanting to introduce an equivalent of TiB's combat points, but they did motivate PvP. I have vague ideas of guilds having territory (like in some civilisation-style games) and being able to build other structures (watchtowers?) which can be attacked/defended/destroyed... but that's probably enough extra coding and redesign that its in the long grass before the end of this sentence. Something which encouraged large-scale guild co-op (like invasions, busts in TiB) would help, but more than just increased co-op bonuses I guess.

I really like the game, and I'm sure its going to go from good to great, but its not got the long-term strategy bit going quite yet.

Read what I just posted about a PvP Arena area, with tactical PvP instead of using the characters you level.

Yeah, its interesting (we posted at the same time I think) but arena doesn't really get me going. I want strategy, territory, war!

I think the arena play would get the strategy going, as all the characters would be equally leveled and geared.

Gilgamesh
Has enough time passed that I can raise the issue again that PvP is scarce and there is almost no reason to do it?
The map is so large compared to the population that outside of the central areas you rarely bump into anyone, and if you do, why would you attack? There's no gain, and losing costs dura and now also winning streak (which I suspect has contributed further to people's reluctance to PvP). The quests-with-PvP angle aren't encouraging it (people are either finding alternative routes to kills or simply ignoring those quests), and although I'm sure the PvP tournament will be popular, it doesn't really get my strategy gland going.
I'm sure you have reasons for not wanting to introduce an equivalent of TiB's combat points, but they did motivate PvP. I have vague ideas of guilds having territory (like in some civilisation-style games) and being able to build other structures (watchtowers?) which can be attacked/defended/destroyed... but that's probably enough extra coding and redesign that its in the long grass before the end of this sentence. Something which encouraged large-scale guild co-op (like invasions, busts in TiB) would help, but more than just increased co-op bonuses I guess.
I really like the game, and I'm sure its going to go from good to great, but its not got the long-term strategy bit going quite yet.

WIN streaks kill pvp. Although they are cool.... THEY ABSOLUTELY DO NOT PROMOTE PVP, TEAMING, BOSS FIGHTS, which makes it more boring imo.
Have had people specifically not participate in pvp because of this... Totally agree with you here Gilg

I wouldn't say "kills". I just don't pay attention to win streaks, since I lose it all time in pvp. But I don't go for deities. But I still don't understand purpose of win streaks...

win streaks was a very bad,idea in my opinion. it promotes pure defensive play, taking on weak oponents to get stats up and kills pvp.
pvp has also become harder since when you finaly find,someone, chances are he got 4squads and often you dont. or you just dont have time for a very lenghty 12vs12 where he may turtle.
i know,this,was changed to prevent single squad sniping, but imo it woyld be better if you could still attack with 2 squads.
another related point.
getting pvp quests done without 'cheating' is now almost impossible.
In 90% of,the cases,iv seen people finish pvp quests they were killing guild mates or friends who left guild temporary.
probly loosing on purpose in rubish gear.
I refuse to cheat so miss out on those items, but the game should not promote or require this. ozy said a while,ago he would,take these requirements out but nothing happened.

A possible fix to win streaks is to just have higher rewards for your win streak from higher tier guys. Deity could boost you to 2.0/3.0 Leader to 1.5/3.0 officer to .8/3.0 PVP (non ai) boosts .8/3.0.