Thread: How to increase HoD's player-base and income.

Hello everyone.
As some may have heard, it's been stated: Right now, HoD doesn't make enough to sustain itself. Since the Dev's aren't fortunate enough to have Soros' financial backup, there obviously has to be made some changes to turn this around.
I'll divide this thread into two parts. In the first part, I'll talk about my experiences as a new player, while also giving ideas on how to improve the game. In the second part, I'll come up with solutions on how to increase the income of the game.
- Part one -

The game is slow
I'm sorry if I'm stepping on your feet. I know many will disagree with this, but I can assure you that I'm not the only one who have said this. As a new player, I got bored at times. While I loved the concept, the art and the music, I still felt the battles got tedious at times.
Now, I'm a pretty patient player. I love games where the curve is steep and getting to the top requires time, however, this also requires things to be interesting at the same time.
- Animations: The animations are too slow. In a battle where I'm losing, this serves to annoy me even further. I would go as far as saying animation-speed should almost be doubled of what it is right now. Dual-wielding archers takes forever, units that walk one tile walks slowly, list goes on.
- Mechanics: Taunts, deflections and grazes serve to slow the battles even further. I've talked with multiple people about this (deflection and graze), but they all argue that it's my own fault for not knowing better by improving aim / attack. However, having improved said stats, I still kept missing on officers / leaders and in general paladins. Obviously, this had to do with the rock-paper-scissors idea, where plate armor naturally deflects projectiles (also my fault for reading about on the wiki).
Look, there's a few things I want to address here. Requiring new players to read on the wiki to be able to play the game is ridiculous. This sort of information shouldn't be forced down my throat as soon as I step into the game. While I like these sort of stat-counters, I believe this will only serve to scare players away in the early parts of the game. Not every new player is dedicated enough to invest hours gathering information in a game they just started playing. Deflections can in many cases cause you to lose the matches, and many players would in this case be oblivious to what they're do wrong, unless they're fortunate enough to have someone explain it to them.
Healers heal too much. You hit 3 times on an enemy unit, getting him to 5%, then suddenly a healer crits (which NPC's seem to do very often) and he's back to 80-100%.
The game is too hard in the early stages.
This statement will probably cause a veteran outcry. Look I get it, you've been there, you managed to push your way through the lvl 8-wall, congratulations you're an abnormality among players. In most cases, players leave if the curve is too steep.
Decrease the amount of deflection and increase the amount of graze. Put a damage decrease-multiplier on lower-level content and increase item drops and silver. I'm sure people would be annoyed with this, but if the players come and leave, then there's a reason why. Make the game more friendly to new players, let it remain challenging, but also rewarding. Getting gray items for the most part and uncommons from officers/leaders is hardly rewarding for winning a difficult 30-minutes battle. It should feel more rewarding.
At one point, I even had to start buying silver, because I just couldn't progress my content. I had invest real money, going to the market and replace most of the items I had. I think it's wrong that I have to resolve to paying to be able to progress.
Crafting and resources feel meaningless
I started getting a good amount of resources and figured I should probably craft a couple upgrades for my fighters. It turned out all I could craft was grey items, unless I had a skill above 48 (I think). Having played over 40 hours, attaining a bunch of resources, only to find out I couldn't craft anything useful. This seems pointless to me. The only ones that craft stuff, are the ones that has enough silver to buy everyone else's resources. Right now, crafting resources means silver to me. I'd rather wait till I'm 20 and afford it. Reduce craft costs or increase resources and improve the crafting system, it's a task to figure out.
Quests and events
I love quests and events. They keep me interested by giving me something to work for. I don't have anything to criticize about this, but rather a recommendation for something that would make it better. Add experience to quest rewards. This will encourage more to do quests and feel like a purpose. Sure, blue items and silver is nice and all, but this hardly feels relevant. New players want to progress in the game, therefore, experience is the highest priority. Make them feel like quests really are relevant. This lets people progress faster, thus keeping them more interested in the game.
A fast-pace goes hand in hand with interest. Only the most competitive ones are against this, because they aren't like us casuals. They have enough freetime to invest hours upon hours of grinding. Appreciate the casual playerbase, they're the ones that make the game, not the top ones :) (yes, that's a shot at 5PG, which has two dying games by the way, they focused on keeping the top players called 'whales' interested while ignoring the average player. The result was pretty clear.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, here's a little thing I think would be nice to add:
Hero abilities - This would be awesome. Having a spellbook where you can choose one ability for your hero would make everyone more unique and adapt their own playstyle. This could either be a passive ability or one you active, or both.
F.ex: Band of Brothers - A passive ability that raises the morale of your fighters. All ally units within 1 tile of your hero has their defense and deflection increased by 10%. This effect disappears if your hero dies.
2. ex: Mark of the Eagle - Active this ability to increase the hit chance of one of your fighters by 100% for 3 attacks (this does not count both attacks of dual-wielders).
3. ex: Burn it all! - Active this ability to send a firestorm at an enemy unit, dealing 200% magical damage and throws the target 2 tiles backwards.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All in all, I think it's a good game with a concept that should be a hit for most players. I really want to see this game continue forward. The staff is great and have put in more work than other companies combined. They deserve to be compensated for the work they put in.
If you care for this game, then its important that you give feedback. Correct me if I'm wrong, but boot-licking feedback such as "I think this game is good" means little to nothing. If you care about this game, then it's important that you give accurate feedback that is relevant. Saying something is bad or good has little to no meaning if you don't explain why.
Edit:
http://prntscr.com/ezn2m3
http://prntscr.com/ezn2y8
Is this how we do dialogue. Apparently its crap if you have different opinions.

Part 2 reserved.

I will just say, if you had to buy things to progress, you may want to ask for help because you may have some misunderstandings on how the combat works. Sure leaders and some officers can be a challenge, but minions can be defeated fairly easily at any battle size even with free grey equipment

" The game is slow"
"As a new player, I got bored at times. While I loved the concept, the art and the music, I still felt the battles got tedious at times."
Yes, it's a turn based strategy game. You know like the chess. It's not call of duty.
"The animations are too slow. In a battle where I'm losing, this serves to annoy me even further."
I'm sure the animations like many things in the game will get impovements but for the most part i don't understand what you're saying. I feel like the animations are fine.
If you said you would like an option to speed up animations maybe that could be a thing, although personaly i would not use it because like i said i enjoy the animations and i'm not trying to rush while i'm playing. I'm taking my time enjoying the game not rushing through it.
"Mechanics: Taunts, deflections and grazes serve to slow the battles even further. I've talked with multiple people about this (deflection and graze), but they all argue that it's my own fault for not knowing better by improving aim / attack. However, having improved said stats, I still kept missing on officers / leaders and in general paladins. Obviously, this had to do with the rock-paper-scissors idea, where plate armor naturally deflects projectiles (also my fault for reading about on the wiki)."
And this is where i most strongly disagrea with you. After getting to this point and reading this, this is when you lost all credability with me. In fact, you state that you talked with many people and they all argue it's your fault. Maybe, just maybe you should take a hint there instead of trying to go about and change the game to suit you better personally. If many people already tryed to explain how deflect and other mechanics work in game and you still dont get it or like it, maybe, just maybe, the issue lies with you and not the game mechanics.
"Look, there's a few things I want to address here. Requiring new players to read on the wiki to be able to play the game is ridiculous."
wow... And this is the part where my age really starts to show... Jesus... Where do i start with this one. I'm gonna sound real old but heck here goes. When i started playing, games came with manuals that were the size and thickness of real enciclopedias. And you had better read the freaking thing or you would have suck at the game and have a real bad time trying to play it. And you know what? I loved it.
I loved reading and trying to make sense of what i was learning and then experimenting with the game, coming with novelty startegies the devolopers themselves didnt dream of. And it was all because i would read about the games mechanics, get a good understanding of them and them aplying those mechanics to my advantage.
Now I live in a world where a freaking aberration of a game that plays itself, has auto questing, auto-pathing, auto-freaking-click-auto-win button is what people want for a game and has become the norm. A game is suposed to be involving, chalenging and ultimatly rewarding. Not a fast food like experience.
So you dont want to waste your precious time reading and learning to play the game, well that's YOUR problem not the game, not the game developers. The first thing i did after my initial loging was go and read about the game and how the mechanics worked in the game. And i have not encountered any of the issues you complain about. You're just crying to the devs to make the game suit you better personally. That goes against the aim of helping the game succeed and thrive. That's you being selfish and trying to change everyones experience of the game because you yourself dislike it.
"Healers heal too much. You hit 3 times on an enemy unit, getting him to 5%, then suddenly a healer crits (which NPC's seem to do very often) and he's back to 80-100%."
Oh boy... I just had a great idea. Why not just remove tanks and healers from the game altogether and everyone just play archer or mage and dps the shit out. Wouldn't that be great! Absolutly no downtime anymore, battles would be such a brease like that!
"The game is too hard in the early stages."
It's not.
It was hard for you because you couldnt be bothered to learn how to play it. Stop assuming everyone else had the same initial experience you had.
"This statement will probably cause a veteran outcry."
It doesnt take a veteran to feel upset with what you wrote. I'm not a veteran (wtf are there even any veterans? the game just came out lol) and i don't agrea with anything you wrote.
"Decrease the amount of deflection and increase the amount of graze"
And what would that acomplish? It would still be frustrating for people like yourself. And then you would write another post crying "game is boring, combat is slow mhwah mhwa" God if you would have played the old D&D and Neverwinter games you would have probably commited suicide...
"Getting gray items for the most part and uncommons from officers/leaders is hardly rewarding for winning a difficult 30-minutes battle. It should feel more rewarding."
Ah i can agrea with this. Lets have rare and epics, no wait, legendaries, no wait, epic ultimate legendaries drop like... like... uh, common shit yeah! (i feel like sarcasm and dark hummor is sometimes hard to translate when reading so... uh, sarcasm...)
"At one point, I even had to start buying silver, because I just couldn't progress my content. I had invest real money, going to the market and replace most of the items I had. I think it's wrong that I have to resolve to paying to be able to progress."
And the crying continues... That was your experience! Not everyones. The game definatly does not force you to spend real money in order to progress. If you did good for you coz the devs apreciate it but it is most definital not enforced.
Crafting and resources feel meaningless
"I started getting a good amount of resources and figured I should probably craft a couple upgrades for my fighters. It turned out all I could craft was grey items"
Yeah the game should be more like real life where master artisans start their trade and immidiatly start making extraordinary works. I get ya...
"New players want to progress in the game, therefore, experience is the highest priority. Make them feel like quests really are relevant. This lets people progress faster, thus keeping them more interested in the game.
A fast-pace goes hand in hand with interest. Only the most competitive ones are against this, because they aren't like us casuals."
I'm a casual player and by this time after reading all of this even i think this is just crap. Look maybe you should consider a facebook game? I'm sure there are some that wouldn't be terribly hard for you to play! Either that or just accept how this game is and enjoy it for what it is. STRATEGY TURN BASED COMBAT ROLE PLAYING GAME! How on earth would you think this would be a game about fast paced combat... This is just sad.
You also seem to be spitefull of the people who do seem to be having a good experience within the game unlike you. The question here is are you mad because they are better players than you or because you're not as good a player as they are.
I like how you added pictures of ingame chat of people calling your bullshit out. So now you not only cry "poor me game is hard. Sad." Now your also crying "boohooh mean people in game hurtz muh feelingz" lol
I told you once and i'm telling you again, you are entitled to have your opinion,i never said you cant have an opinion it's just that your opinion is crap. Sorry...

branmicael
" The game is slow"

I don't care if you think my opinion is crap. The reason I linked it, is to show the developers that you and your people have absolutely 'zero' interest in seeing this game become something. You're sitting here, spending your time telling me I'm wrong about everything, while forgetting what's really important. Had you instead focused on coming up with your own set of ideas (as the adult you're claiming to be), then maybe this could have something constructive. Instead, you made this into an insult-fest, totally ruining the whole point of this.
If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. But what you're basically spouting is 'It's all fine. The game is good as it is, it's just the kids nowadays. They don't understand anything'. This hardly serves as something useful.
I won't be bothered with this anymore. Obviously I'm not in favor here, so I'll just accept things as they are. I don't mind things remaining the same that much, it's not like I'm gonna quit because of this. I think the game is good and the concept is great, but there's always room for improvements and changes. I personally think that making the crafting system more accessible to lower players is a good idea. It's the one point I believed we all could agree on.

I've stopped playing simply because the grind DOES feel unrewarding. Though I can offer little in the way of solutions

I appreciate the feedback and agree on several points, particularly the new player experience.
I have some changes in the works you'll see in the next week or two.

Like i said i'm a casual player myself but be that as it may i have no interest in playing easy games. They are not fun and not rewarding to me. You and others that complain you dont get enough rare loot for beating a dificult fight , what you don't get is beating that fight IS the reward. The loot is just extra to help you against even harder fights. New players come and go. Most people will try a game play a bit and move on. It's the ones who stay that really like the game and should be heard. I'm not saying there's not room for improvement, of course there is. But making the game easier and flooding players with epic loot would kill the game. As much as i've enjoyed my experience so far with the game if it starts to become too easy and going down that road i will eventully leave because for me the fun is in the chalenge.
I will say i may have come a bit to rough on you because i've seen this happen before and it just ruins the game. I can get pretty frustrated about it but it's nothing personal against you.
I think the devs could look at Path of Exile for example both for it's business model and challenging gameplay. A cash shop that sells "cool stuff" without things that could impact the game itself because people want to look cool people will always buy those sort of things. PoE is doing very well because it remained challenging all the way through and has a great business model.

I see one minus apparenly from a vet, who is conservative and will play whatever happens. Your feedback is good and I agree with all mentioned in the part I read, so I give you +1. Game, especially animations need to be faster. And game is very very about repetition in battles. Something amazing must come in, so not all the battles are same. I've suggested 'fighter traits'. It was likely by email, but the answer was they have something in plan similar to that.

I'd love more variety than armor/ wep config to come into play