Thoughts so far, and improvements to the game

Good morning all, I'm sure you recognize the name, I am Tommy.

Over the past month I have had great pleasure in taking time to play Heroes of Dire, and see that a lot of the time people are having fun playing the game too. What the post is for however, is to explain the elephants in the room as to game play, these obvious factors would need serious addressing to, and seeing many people in general chat constantly argue over these, including myself both with reason and with drastic result.
I'm not here to start telling you why the game is bad in some cases, this is merely an opinion as to how the game could be improved from my point of view, and I believe a lot of the community in game would feel that these points addressed by me would agree.

However, should you feel that you don't agree, or if there is anything I failed to mention, I would love to hear your comments so please; feel free to reply and I will also take note and may even address my own post and make edits as we go.

Lets begin;

PVP
Whilst playing through Heroes of Dire, I was invited to a guild by Rearrow; HUP, and was then quickly introduced to the world of PvP.

And wow. This has to be the most confusing, irrational and craziest way to introduced players to PvP I have ever seen.
Lets be frank here, the system is broken, exploitable, too hard for new players to understand, too hard for experienced players to really comprehend, and fails to meet every reason people PvP in the first place.
The reason you want to fight other players is because you think you can take them, or you wish to interrupt a means that is happening against all odds. This is how wars begin, and how wars are won. There shouldn't be a massive learning curb to this, it kinda involves a lot of common sense; If you want to attack someone, you attack them.
Now I already know what a lot of people will say:

Oh so you want level 20's to be able to attack level 1's regardless of their gear?

Ah this old argument. There is currently in place a PvP flag system, if you don't wish to take part in PvP, then don't flag yourself. It's quite simple really, should you not feel able to combat anyone regardless of the circumstances then you do not flag yourself for PvP. This keeps you safe, and able to continue progressing through the game without player interaction.

But I would lose my 200% xp bonus if I'm not Pvp flagged!

Indeed!

But that would make leveling a lot slower!

Oh don't worry, we'll talk about this later in this post.

The current system is fair though?

Ah but it is not. See, the map is currently designed so that all paths lead through Lyrae, especially Lyrae Square. (Not kidding, actually look at your map, in fact try walking from one end of the map to the other!)
Now, lets say I had to drag a node from a level 20 area, all the way to another area on the other side of the map. Say for example, Fort Storm to Caverns of Death, labelled as this circle, to the star.
http://imgur.com/a/aI3Xf

Now as you can see, the route to reach Caverns of death is clearly a one way system going through Bum Docks, to Daggers Sheath, Daggers Blade, and so on. There isn't much variation to have here and it actually means that any opposing guild can actually put level 5 guards in Lyrae Square with not much consequence except being attacked by anyone willing to downgrade their gear to that level area.
Again, this proves a problem, as to be critically successful in this game, and have the best odds of winning PvP scenarios, you must have the following:

Level 1 Squads ranging all the way up to Level 20 Squads, preferably 4 squads of each, so 4 squads of level 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's, 5's etc.
You would have to have gear for each situation, especially if it gets damaged, but not only that, changing gear to match situations, or even change up your tactics with different squad members can really give you a huge advantage in PvP, so you'd better have 4 mages and 4 rogues and 4 paladins and 4 warriors and 4 healers on top of those squads as well to truly maximize your stratagems.
You would then need to have guards placed at every choke point on the map to ensure that nodes and relics are not transportable by enemies and preferably have more then 1 squad guarding at a time in a square at a time as well, to tempt people not to just attack you with one squad when you have a massive army waiting there to strike.

Tommy your waffling

But do you not see how crippled this system is by me just explaining some serious problems? Not only that, because of the easy accessibility to alts, it makes people easily force check points and require you to constantly change your gear for situations you should honestly be able to handle! Instead of stopping the game play, how about just make it so cheap tactics like this are impossible? Like a simple PvP flag system?
Why should a level 20 be stopped by a level 5, and for the enemy to turn around asking "to be nice and play fair?"
HOW ABOUT YOU GRIND YOURSELF TO LEVEL 20 AND GET THE GEAR, AND THEN COME AND CHALLENGE HIM OR TRY TO GUARD TO STAND IN HIS WAY.

You could always take off all your items-

No.
Because I have the advantage of having all these awesome weapons, with cool names, cool looking models and an army I spent hours grinding on to get to this position.
But because your 2 item levels lower then me, you want me to drop all this sweet gear, change all my gear to grays which actually gives you more a fighting chance because your gear is actually optimized for this level, and then face you with all this gear just sitting in my bag just because I happen to be a lower level area with a node that is also easily swiped off me whilst I'm facing with one squad?!

THAT IS STUPID.

Honestly I could be here all day talking about this PvP system, but let me honestly try to summarize this;
The current system is not working, it's too complicated and honestly, a simple PvP system where if you are flagged, you are ready to win and ready to die.
Plain and simple. Feel free to disagree, but I really can't see this current system working at all.

ITEM DROPS
I would like you to be honest with me for a moment and answer me a simple question;
If it wasn't for the fact that some leaders, officers and deity's are part of quest lines - how many of these type of creatures individually have you killed?
Now to some veteran players they may say quite a few, but to most players, I would imagine the answer would lay around an average of about: ZERO. Now a lot of people say these fights are too hard, that they are not ready to face such a huge challenge ahead of them, which to be honest is kind of the point of these fights right? Your fighting the leaders and god like creatures of these races and you want an easy fight? Please, get good scrub.
But what I'm also hearing is that you can actually get greens from Deity fights?
Like seriously? Uncommon Quality items from deity fights?
The worst part? They were right.
This is completely ludicrous in my eyes, how on earth do you justify a reward that is of a quality that you can get accidentally from using the search function in the game? And don't try to argue this with "because then everyone would be killing leaders and deity's" - no they seriously would not. In fact as mentioned before a lot of people find these fights too hard, or generally they are not ready to face such challenges.
It's because they are kind of the end game content, or at least a very hard challenge that you are almost likely to fail. And with the gear dishing out to be nothing short of a waste of time for the most part - I can see why no-one either talks about these awesome fights, or even bothers at all to do them.

LEVELING
Kept this one to last because I'll be honest, it is quite apparent that leveling is generally agreed to be slow.
But to me, the speed is not the problem - It's how you get XP, which is the problem.

In other games, XP can be rewarded through exploration, dungeon, raiding, PVP, fighting harder challenges, crafting, the list goes on.
Currently, with the systems in place, the only thing that rewards you XP, is fighting. And it gets old VERY fast, causing a constant player base to play for roughly an hour, until they get bored and wait to grind some more later in the evening. (Check Steam stats for the game if you don't believe me)

Another problem is the consistency in XP gained from each fight.
It's not entirely clear as to whether or not fighting higher level opponents is a faster means of leveling, but what is clear is that when you hit the 17-19 mark, all of your opponents now start having R3 MINIMUM gear. Now I don't know about you, but currently I'm still stuck at 19 because these fights go on for a VERY long time and sometimes the NPC gets a few lucky shots and manages to pull of critical strikes nearly on every single throw. And what am I rewarded with for killing the same level opponent with much better gear then me?
The same XP gained from killing a level 1 target as a level 1.
NO THANK YOU HEROES OF DIRE.

For you bloodthirsty people like me, PVP is a complete waste of time for leveling, and that kind of upsets me. I bring in many nodes for my guild and defend, and even attack many other guilds too. But no-one is rewarded justly for doing so! There's not even a silver sum to be had from defending against an onslaught of hungry players, or great reward for attempting to take nodes to your guild yourself. There is no real reason to PvP, except to PvP. The XP gained from PvP is a joke as well, especially when you have a fair fight with someone that could last quite a while! I mean, what even is the point, if you are not rewarded justly for doing so? Why not a bit more XP?

QUESTING
Questing in this game is... different.
To most MMORPGS, in fact I'm pretty sure, ANY MMORPG, questing is a vital way to level up your characters and to be introduced to lore of the game.
Now I am aware that lore is currently being developed of course, and it's a minor trivial point that doesn't really have a SUPER impact on the game, but I would love to know more about these races soon! Like... maybe at least one?
However, what is also trivial, is the quests that you can't do because you don't have the right level squads.
In that case Heroes of Dire, WHY DO I HAVE THESE QUESTS?
Going back to my old argument in PvP where having levels of each squads was a requirement for facing people in PvP, now apparently to quest in any area you also have to have squads of different levels to be able to gain some of the rewards from each of these quests! Which is super frustrating when an item becomes avaiable from a quest that you can't do because the creatures required to kill, or the level cap of those creatures is too damn low or just too high! Is the quest there to taunt me? I'd rather not have it show then for it to constantly stick a middle finger up at me.
As well as this, the rewards seem... rather flat.
Why not an XP reward? (To also help with the slow leveling problem) Why not more customary rewards for your level? (Better gear to help with the challenges at 17-19!)
Why do I still have quests telling me to go to areas that I've already been to? Why can't the game direct me to new awesome areas in the game?

Oof.
I'll be honest, I may continue to update this as I go along because my hand hurts.
No hard feelings to anyone, I am still regularly enjoying the game, and if I could shake Ozymandias's hand for the game he has created, I would first kiss his feet.

Thanks for listening, feel free to reply and even disagree! :D

Love Tommy.

after attempting to read the above post on a phone all I can say is.
have you tried sealing it before you get it up to 40km/hr. maybe wax the tail fin a bit.
that should help sure up your average speed

Xariol
after attempting to read the above post on a phone all I can say is.
have you tried sealing it before you get it up to 40km/hr. maybe wax the tail fun a bit.
that should help sure up your average speed

No idea what you mean...

For the love of god please please please crop your quotes on this one. Also, will refrain from commenting until newer users get some say.
Edit: Thanks for editing your comment so I don't have to scroll 2 pages:)

We need to fix the quote system on these forums for mobile!
Many of the problems could be fixed by scaling gear down to the level of the current map.
So you could wear a Level 20 item anywhere, but it would only give Level 6 stats in a Level 6 map.
This is something I'm working on, but no ETA yet. Thanks for the feedback.

Aceman
For the love of god please please please crop your quotes on this one. Also, will refrain from commenting until newer users get some say.

I'll remember that for next time princess.

I'd really love to see gear scaling :)))

item downgrading - a big no-no. Item level restriction creates potential for some variety. Players can choose their favorite level and zone for PVP, live there, camp it and harass other players on their turf. You can be something like best PVPer of 12 lvl, or best PVPer of Sorbeyn region. Item downgrading will make any zone same, it wouldn't matter where you are. I don't like the idea of everyone being able to do anything and everywhere. I'm tired of running into and fighting same ppl all the time.

Vorolea
item downgrading - a big no-no. Item level restriction creates potential for some variety. Players can choose their favorite level and zone for PVP, live there, camp it and harass other players on their turf. You can be something like best PVPer of 12 lvl, or best PVPer of Sorbeyn region. Item downgrading will make any zone same, it wouldn't matter where you are. I don't like the idea of everyone being able to do anything and everywhere. I'm tired of running into and fighting same ppl all the time.

Indeed I don't believe Item scaling does much except artificially create more item hoarding. It's the fact that the gear doesn't properly scale in the long run is the problem, in the sense that quests are not factored to your level, if this was a thing, we'd be able to sell off our old gear or even get better gear to improve the current ones, rather then holding on to "best stat in slot for class". Means everyone is running around with greens rather then rare items!
Honestly, World PvP needs to be a lot simpler, there can't be a massive guide in uncontrolled conditions, you must admit, it's a bit daunting to do the simplest tasks such as attack a player, move a node, guard a spot.

To me the item level restriction seems like a gate, because its costly to gear extra squads and horde diff lvl sets