Lets be frank

Dire isnt doing well as anticipated. Player retention is falling and hardly any new people are trying it so I seriously doubt it's making money especially now with attention being directed at tib expansion. So I'd like to throw around a few ideas for those of us that are still playing.
Ascension - dire was supposed to be a pvp game. Get to lvl 20 and smash each other. When the game first came out and we got to level 20 there was daily raids involving numbers of people. Now.. everyone pretty much is just leveling to ascend and do quests, rinse and repeat. By the time anyone gets to 10 ascends there won't be a game to play. Idea.. NO ascending. Fighters can be ranked higher with transmutation pots purchased with skulls (1k maybe?). Also too please bring back fighter hires with a chance at higher ranks.. ks silver is gone so if someone wants to blow 10 mil to get 3 ulti ranked fighters (west) their going to pay for it. With no ascension all a player has to do is get to 20 then they can PvP. They aren't given the option to waste 1 or 2 months again to start all over and do it again with no thought of being involved in PvP. Stay level 20. Hit the higher level maps for gear and quests or work on more fighters to get them to 20.
Crafting.. I'm no expert on crafting and I know you want crafting to take a long time to accomplish for the players willing to put the time in it. But its very daunting for anyone to try when its just easier to get the materials and send it to someone who already has the skills. My thinking on it.. let players start out with the ability to craft rare gear if they have the materials. Crafted items heroic or lower are bound and can't be sold or traded.
Guild hall raids. Everyone will be level 20 so you won't have where maybe at a given time you only have 3-4 people In an guild with level 20 fighters able to pvp. Plus if they can rank their fighters or transmute with pots from skulls. Woo hoo let's go kill some mofos! Can't level the fighters anymore anyways. I liked kyus idea too on basically calling when your going to raid so everyone is involved defense and offense
NPC drag in - I know we complained how it wasn't fair because of how the loadout could screw someone.. but it was the most fun in battles when they spawned in between the 2 players. Who do you kill or avoid? Bring it back please. Maybe level 15 or higher maps. There will be plenty of opportunities with people using their lvl 20 fighters doing quests and grinding for better gear.
Any other ideas to throw around are appreciated.

Main thing the game needs is a reason to cooperate. All players can field TWO full squads of fighters and solo kill deities or raid or craft or harvest or capture or pvp in the fight club. Nothing requires the five man human teams other games do. This has become the original Guild Wars where you can hire a full squad of NPC allies and solo the game then quit. This model is similar to singleplayer RPGs, Final Fantasy Tactics, Fallout, Wasteland, Shadowrun, and the like, and so it's no shock that it's being played singleplayer. It's even great for the dev team income to require everyone to buy up tons of fighters and gear instead of working together with fewer squads.
If you want a game where solo players are all the rave then it needs to be setup like how other solo games are. Card games in particular have tons of solo players interacting with each other through drafts, tournaments, and special co-op missions. Even those browser games where you self-build entire cities and armies have a need to specialize and cooperate with your guild members for defense or production or something that isn't doable on your own.
As it is currently, Dire is a glorified card game complete with building a deck of fighters and equipment. Only there's none of the staple formats that card games, or even chess itself, are well known for bringing players together.

One of the biggest things I believe has an impact on how people play regarding PvP is the lack of a gear score / rating system to scale PvP incentives/rewards.
The current method of rewarding essentially all PvP equally, regardless of how even the actual fighters are, creates an arms race. The more powerful you are, the more rewarded you are in PvP. Rewards relate to how powerful your fighters are compared to your opponent, encouraging players to increase their own power, while seeking out weaker opponents.
There is no reason to fight stronger enemies in PvP currently. You will lose and hand them resources to make them stronger in the process. On top of that, while you are PvPing, those PvE grinding are getting ahead in that arms race.

I agree with Pyrate and Mid. Not only that but the territory system makes anything pvp worthless. Anyone can capture 1000 resources with territory capture and nodes become meaningless. Defending a guild is meaningless. Skulls are meaningless. Territory allows easy crafting if that is the point. Otherwise I don't get territory at all.

GMonk
I agree with Pyrate and Mid. Not only that but the territory system makes anything pvp worthless. Anyone can capture 1000 resources with territory capture and nodes become meaningless. Defending a guild is meaningless. Skulls are meaningless. Territory allows easy crafting if that is the point. Otherwise I don't get territory at all.

Territory still resets way to quickly. If there were more players, yeah quicker reset probably better but currently though its just constant capture. A lot of those resources are useless though due to current disparity in their use and bottlenecks with things such as gems. I have leather, water and stone coming out of my ears.
I do get some PvP capturing territory and that is fun, especially since you are typically not fighting using the best squads you have. There is a major flaw though that just happened multiple times trying to attack Ihooman. It is really hard to actually attack a moving target. Half the time you end up walking past each other. When someone is walking a across the map they cover tiles quite quickly, its hard to be on the same tile as them at the same time while taking into account ping and the need to click attack.
You can't click attack until you are right on top of them, since when you do your squad beelines for the tile the enemy is on at the time you click attack, as soon as they move your attack command is pointless, your squad just stops on that tile and you lose the one chance you had to attack.

I am not sure I am as anti-ascension as Mid, but we all have to accept that the game needs some fixes if it is to prosper.
I think the major reason people drop off is the lack of co-op. I've raised this many times in the past, and Kyutaru raises it again in this thread. Adding multi-player bonus gave it a boost, but then was rapidly followed by the ability to remotely drive other players' fighters while still getting that bonus. So who is going to waste people's time and play less efficiently when one person can drive everything? Co-op, which was quite a big aspect for a while, has completely left the game due to remote driving, and made it more of a loner's game than ever.
I would propose that co-op xp bonus is only activated when the squads are not being drive remotely, i.e. are actually being driven by another human. I would also make it bigger, say up to 150% for 4 squads, each human-driven, fighting together.
Re: PvP. Yes, why fight for 2hr for a few skulls when you could be PvEing and losing guild perks for an hour or so is no big deal? In TiB, if you're PvPing for a few hr and you're on the winning/drawing side the cps are worth far more than the equivalent time spent farming, here its the other way round.
And still we have the issue, always being raised, that one person can completely dominate PvP, even if ten slightly-worse (in gear, skill) people have organised themselves and lined up against him. If (s)he has the time, they walk through a guild hall killing defenders one by one. How about in GH PvP each account can only drive one squad (or maybe two)? That way if you want to hit a defending three-squad, you need to get three humans together, and if the defenders want to remote drive them you need three defenders (otherwise e.g. one would be human and two AI).
I'd also, as mentioned before, get rid of teleport. Allow perhaps the act of sending a relic/resource to some random location on the map, but if you want something in your guild hall you have to drag it there. People know the routes and can try and block intercept - it used to happen and was fun.
Still a great game, really want it to succeed.

Hi Frank
I agree that ascension is kind of I guess broken. It is a never ending arms race, one i can't be bothered to join in. If ascension bonuses were removed and you simply had rarity, I am sure some of the robotic farmers would be annoyed, I don't think many others would be.
I couldn't even imagine trying to do crafting without capturing tiles, I don't know how Uda did it.... well apart from spending a billion silver on resources. I reckon it is ok now though, a few things need a little balancing, metal ozy, I need metal, stop giving me 8 leathers in a row.
No incentive to raid guild halls. Nothing you can get that you can't get elsewhere easier.

I'm open to all suggestions on what can be changed, and will continue to work on Dire.
Many of the mechanics you guys pinpoint as problems were suggested and designed by players (including some people in this thread), and often in the name of "protecting weak players" and "protecting weak guilds".
That's a big reason why PvP sucks in Dire: The desire to "protect" weakness instead of rewarding skill. There's not enough incentives and too many negatives for engagement.
I prefer much more brutal and hardcore mechanics, but the idea here was to cater to solo and casual gamers more.
It's not a complete wash, however, and I'd be happy to re-build whatever systems aren't working.
My time split between Dire and The Infinite Black Expansion will be 25% / 75% for the next few weeks, so progress will be slower, but I will be working on whatever suggestions you guys come up with here.

MidDawn
Dire isnt doing well as anticipated. Player retention is falling and hardly any new people are trying it so I seriously doubt it's making money especially now with attention being directed at tib expansion. So I'd like to throw around a few ideas for those of us that are still playing.
Ascension - dire was supposed to be a pvp game. Get to lvl 20 and smash each other. When the game first came out and we got to level 20 there was daily raids involving numbers of people. Now.. everyone pretty much is just leveling to ascend and do quests, rinse and repeat. By the time anyone gets to 10 ascends there won't be a game to play. Idea.. NO ascending. Fighters can be ranked higher with transmutation pots purchased with skulls (1k maybe?). Also too please bring back fighter hires with a chance at higher ranks.. ks silver is gone so if someone wants to blow 10 mil to get 3 ulti ranked fighters (west) their going to pay for it. With no ascension all a player has to do is get to 20 then they can PvP. They aren't given the option to waste 1 or 2 months again to start all over and do it again with no thought of being involved in PvP. Stay level 20. Hit the higher level maps for gear and quests or work on more fighters to get them to 20.
Crafting.. I'm no expert on crafting and I know you want crafting to take a long time to accomplish for the players willing to put the time in it. But its very daunting for anyone to try when its just easier to get the materials and send it to someone who already has the skills. My thinking on it.. let players start out with the ability to craft rare gear if they have the materials. Crafted items heroic or lower are bound and can't be sold or traded.
Guild hall raids. Everyone will be level 20 so you won't have where maybe at a given time you only have 3-4 people In an guild with level 20 fighters able to pvp. Plus if they can rank their fighters or transmute with pots from skulls. Woo hoo let's go kill some mofos! Can't level the fighters anymore anyways. I liked kyus idea too on basically calling when your going to raid so everyone is involved defense and offense
NPC drag in - I know we complained how it wasn't fair because of how the loadout could screw someone.. but it was the most fun in battles when they spawned in between the 2 players. Who do you kill or avoid? Bring it back please. Maybe level 15 or higher maps. There will be plenty of opportunities with people using their lvl 20 fighters doing quests and grinding for better gear.
Any other ideas to throw around are appreciated.

Are you running around with your gang of 8 alt accounts clubbing all the new players where they spawn with ur maxed gear like u did on green server ? That's proly why no new players stick ......... Jus saying not everyone likes a bully only fememinsts and bimbos like bully's...

Deadpilot

Are you running around with your gang of 8 alt accounts clubbing all the new players where they spawn with ur maxed gear like u did on green server ? That's proly why no new players stick ......... Jus saying not everyone likes a bully only fememinsts and bimbos like bully's...

Play the game you'd known that you don't need alts nor can you seal club.