Heroes of Dire Update

It's been a long year but we're finally rolling out a huge update for Heroes of Dire!

All platform download links are available at http://www.DIRE.com

Thanks for your patience, and there's more to come! Please report any issues so we can get them fixed ASAP.

v1.4.0
- Many UI improvements!
- Media packaged with client -- No downloading and fast load times!
- Over 200 new audio clips for voices and combat
- Guilds can now design a custom banner
- Quests, treasures, and squads visible on the world map
- Recover crafting materials from scrapped items
- All weapon damaged adjusted to make lower levels easier
- Item durability loss significantly reduced to encourage fighting
- Item durability MAX removed -- All items repair to 100%
- Quests: Removed kill requirements, replaced with progress points
- Quests: Officers worth 5 points, Leaders worth 15, Deity worth 50
- Quests: Item rewards are better than normal loot drops
- Rogues can shadowstep through walls and friends
- Lance, Halberd, Quarterstaff, and Spear reach 2 tiles instead of 1
- Resources and Artifacts can no longer be teleported
- Resources can be destroyed by squads
- Masterwork crafted items are much better (for players and NPCs)
- Battles can once again pull in nearby friends and enemies
- Fighters have a new stat called Mana
- Max mana is calculated from class, race, rarity, and ascend
- Healing actions reduce a fighter's mana by weapon attack speed
- Healing is heavily penalized once mana is depleted!
- Cultists, Zombies, Golems, Giants, Huppo gain a mana bonus
- Wall Shield has more +Guard, can stun, and does more damage

Ozy - many thanks for the updates - very nice for Dire to have some attention after all this time. Its good to see that it has attracted players back, old and new, too.
However, while I like many of the updates, what the game really needs is new content. I hear this from everyone I speak to, especially the returning players who have already done ascension and deities and are wondering what next. In fact I find, with HUP on vacation, the nerfing of AI and tile capture rewards, I'm tending towards playing less in the last couple of days. Like quite a few, I used to play on the side from work during the day, but that is less rewarding now.
Anyway, main point - we need new content, challenges - any plans?

Ozy - Well done on the update, you have done a lot to the game to make it more interesting and so much more enjoyable. As always there are things that may not have worked out as we thought they should, as Sargon mentioned new challenges and opportunities for group conquest and special weekend events would be very cool for the future.
I really have to say I was initially not impressed with the thought of the 200 new voices on the fighters, but I played with the sound on for the first time in a long time and Wow this is a good thing. To the point that it truly disarm a rage feeling when my fighters would perish in a battle.
The ability to use our very nice weapons on our fighters and not worry about them as much is a great change, repair costs are going To Drain the banks though.
The thief abilities are a great touch and add more color to a fight.
The quest progress by kill points is a wonderful way to get more players involved in quests I commend that decision.
Scrapping gear for resources is a great touch and makes crafting a real part of the gameplay, that added a new dimension to the game entirely. Thank you
Food for thought, could you take a page from the TIB AH design, if I put an item for sale it is moved from my inventory. if it does not sell it comes back in via mail.
The problem I see in the future is that players would sell their crafts for silver, but if they also have to keep it in their storage, it will limit their want to keep it on the Ah due to running out of storage space.
There has to be a better mechanism for that, it would also build a self-sufficient silver generation system.
I would really love to see more things to tweak fighters abilities as they ascend. But maybe something for the future.
One of the pain points I found after the update was AI fighting, I used to be able to get into ai battle keep my phone running as I did some work then came back in a bit to see the outcome and strategies how I could make my crews better for the next fight. But now it seems that my fighters and the NPCs go to a tea party for awhile before they start fighting, so a battle that would take 5-7 minutes now takes up to 20-30 minutes for a 4x4 battle?? Was this an intentional change? If so, Damn, could you at least up the XP gain for the 20-30 minutes of battle time?
I know that a battle will run faster if you watch it on ai driving, but still it makes it a hell of a distraction at the office to do that. So it has now made it less likely to access the game during the day.

Thanks for the feedback -- I'll have some announcements shortly on several of these concerns.
The AI farming speed was intentionally slowed down because it was having a severe negative impact on the economy that was forcing me to limit item drops and silver generation. The current speed isn't set in stone, however. I'd like to see how things adjust in a week or two.
Glad you guys like the new changes so far. I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out.

I think most of the updates are very good. Clicking on tiles should have never given so many resources and AI fighting times depend upon what you are looking for in a game. Do you want to allow people to level so easy with AI, if so shorten times. If you want people to fight fights as a human to speed up leveling then keep it where it is. I agree with most everything else the others said.

I think most of the updates are very good. Clicking on tiles should have never given so many resources and AI fighting times depend upon what you are looking for in a game. Do you want to allow people to level so easy with AI, if so shorten times. If you want people to fight fights as a human to speed up leveling then keep it where it is. I agree with most everything else the others said.

What's up with TIBX?

So Ozy, this is what I see has happened since the updates: there was a flurry of activity, bringing in some new players and making a lot of retirees come and have a look. Quite a lot of initial excitement and interest.
However, the numbers are now plummeting and the number of players I see when I log on (increasingly infrequently) is dropping every day. New people who were really enthused for a week have now not logged in for ages, but also many of those of us who'd been hanging on for months are now also playing less. If some of the changes made were to suck in more new players and make it easier for them, I'm not sure how well that's worked.
Personally, I can speak from the viewpoint of an experienced player with lots of lev 20s and nice gear - there is nothing at all to do. Nothing. Its been weeks since there was a single quest out of many tens of quests which was interesting to do. The quests are generally just a wall of green and blue mostly useless stuff. There are no other challenges in the game at all for an experienced player. Everyone I know (ok, except rstln) is now playing less than they were a month ago.
Fingers crossed for something...

sargon
So Ozy, this is what I see has happened since the updates: there was a flurry of activity, bringing in some new players and making a lot of retirees come and have a look. Quite a lot of initial excitement and interest.
However, the numbers are now plummeting and the number of players I see when I log on (increasingly infrequently) is dropping every day. New people who were really enthused for a week have now not logged in for ages, but also many of those of us who'd been hanging on for months are now also playing less. If some of the changes made were to suck in more new players and make it easier for them, I'm not sure how well that's worked.
Personally, I can speak from the viewpoint of an experienced player with lots of lev 20s and nice gear - there is nothing at all to do. Nothing. Its been weeks since there was a single quest out of many tens of quests which was interesting to do. The quests are generally just a wall of green and blue mostly useless stuff. There are no other challenges in the game at all for an experienced player. Everyone I know (ok, except rstln) is now playing less than they were a month ago.
Fingers crossed for something...

Sargon is correct.
Have you thought of making some harder Deities that drop minimum of legendary gear? How about the possibility of getting certain types of drops legendary or above (with random stats) from level 23+ deities? Most of us can flawless deity fights now. Maybe even have all officer deity leader fights?
Regarding guild halls and pvp, you got me. 4v4 fights between good players can take 2-3 hours and you get 5 skulls per fighter killed. Not really worth it. You could make level 20 squad fights worth 50 skulls per fighter killed if both players are online and maybe that helps but tbh I don't know.
Just some thoughts.

If you guys would like to get some suggestions to Amcilla (either in chat or [email protected] ) I'll be making another Dire pass after I get some milestones done with the Infinite Black expansion.