Stuck loading - ubuntu 16.04

I just tried installing the game from steam and downloading the .zip. In both cases the game starts loading and gets to about 90% and just stops. The music keeps playing and nothing happens.

This is what I have in the console

[email protected]:~/Downloads/HoD/heroesofdire-linux$ ./HeroesOfDire.x86_64
Set current directory to /home/user/Downloads/HoD/heroesofdire-linux
Found path: /home/user/Downloads/HoD/heroesofdire-linux/HeroesOfDire.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/home/user/Downloads/HoD/heroesofdire-linux/HeroesOfDire_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/user/Downloads/HoD/heroesofdire-linux/HeroesOfDire_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/user/Downloads/HoD/heroesofdire-linux/HeroesOfDire_Data/Mono/etc'
Preloaded 'ScreenSelector.so'
Preloaded 'libCSteamworks.so'
Preloaded 'libsteam_api.so'
Player data archive not found at `/home/user/Downloads/HoD/heroesofdire-linux/HeroesOfDire_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystem

That doesn't seem to be an actual error though?

As an update, I installed mono and now I'm just getting a blank white screen, but I still hear the music playing.

I'll see what we can figure out. For some reason some distros of Linux have odd loading problems.
There's a full screen window loading bug. You can try editing ~/.config/unity3d/Spellbook/Heroes of Dire/prefs and changing 1 to 0 in the following line:
<pref name="Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode" type="int">1</pref>

How do I edit ~/.config/unity3d/Spellbook/Heroes of Dire/prefs? My terminal says there is no such file or directory.
This loading screen problem persists with newer versions of ubuntu as well