Item Engineering Basics
The Android client Engineering window.
- Reasoning: The Infinite Black has an open and free economy that is determined entirely by players. If engineering used credits, it would forever define the BD:Credit conversion rate, and thus limit the in-game economy.
- Black Dollars can easily be purchased from other players with Credits
There are some restrictions to what items can be engineered, and how:
- An item must be uncommon Item Rarity or higher.
- Common items and items with 1% Durability cannot be engineered.
- Items of ultimate rarity can be ranked up or down in size, but cannot be augmented.
- Items with EquipPoints (size) values of 1 cannot be ranked down to size 0.
Engineering Costs increase as the rarity of an item increases.
- Augmentation is the process that increases an item's rarity.
- Example: an uncommon Storage III can be augmented to a rare Storage III.
- Increasing an item's rarity increases its stats and reduces its size by 1.
- It is possible to augment a Size 1 item to a Size 0 item.
- Example: an uncommon Burst Cannon II (size 1) can be augmented to a rare Burst Cannon II (size 0).
- Ranking increases or decreases the Size of Weapons, Armor, and Storage.
- Making an item larger improves its stats slightly (per rank).
- Making an item smaller reduces its stats slightly (per rank).
- A Size 1 item cannot be ranked-down to Size 0.
- A Size 0 item can be ranked-up to Size 1.
- Ranking can be used to adjust the Ship Class of Computers and Specials.
- Example: a Toil computer (flagship) can be ranked up to a Toil (carrier), then a to Toil (flayer), and then to a Toil (executioner)
Some ship classes share Computer and Specials and do not have Ship Ranks of their own:
- A Wyrd Invader uses computers and specials designed for Flagships.
- A Wyrd Assassin uses computers and specials designed for Flayers.
- A Wyrd Reaper uses computers and specials designed for Executioners.
- A Wyrd Terminus uses computers and specials designed for Annihilators.
- Unwanted items can be deconstructed for Reward Points (RP).
- RP are used to claim ships and items with the :Reward Chat Commands.
- An item is worth 0.01 RP for every $2,000 Credits of value.
- Example: a item worth $300,000 credits can be deconstructed for 1.5 RP.
- Items that have damaged Durability can be repaired.
- Maintaining a certain amount of durability on equipment is very important!
- Items with a durability of 5% or lower will be destroyed if a player is killed by NPCs.
- Items with a durability of 10% or lower will be destroyed if a player is killed by an enemy player.
- Items with a durability of 25% or lower can be stolen by enemy players when killed!
- Items are repaired by 10% durability at a time when using the Repair feature.