The Map and Game World
Sectors are points of interest in the galaxy where you can encounter many things -- including NPC ships, other players, asteroids, planets and StarPorts. Initially, new players will have a small number of sectors explored on the map. You move between these sectors by using your ship's Jump capabilities. To move to a new sector, tap on it to select it, then press the Jump Button. When you Jump to a new sector, all of the ships and objects within it will be displayed on right-side of screen. The starting galaxy is displayed as an 80x80 Sector grid.
Your starting point is Earth. Surrounding Earth is an area called Grey Space (commonly referred to as "grey"). Weak NPCs can be found here, and PvP is disabled. New players will want to play here to learn the ropes and to make some easy credits! There are approximately 250 Grey sectors.
There are different kinds of sectors displayed on the map that you will first encounter:
- The Green Sector (Android only)- This is the sector you are currently in. In this image, it is at Earth.
- Blue Sectors - These sectors are completely safe, and surround Earth. There is no combat in Blue Sectors
- Grey sectors - Weak NPCs can be found here, and PvP is disabled. New players will want to play here to learn the ropes and to make some easy money! There are approximately 250 Grey sectors.
- Unexplored Sectors - These are unexplored sectors. There is one on the bottom left-hand corner of the image. You explore them by jumping into them!
- Yellow Sectors - When you choose a location on the map to Jump to, the sectors you will travel through are highlighted yellow.
- StarPorts are neutral space stations where you can buy and sell resources and items. They slowly drift around the map, but one can always be found at Earth.
Once you venture outside of the Grey Area, you will begin to encounter new kinds of sectors.
- Black Sectors - These sectors make up the bulk of the map, and have more challenging NPC opponents than grey sectors. You can also fight other players here.
- Invasion Sectors - NPCs invade the galaxy sometimes! These sectors are very challenging and are designed for groups. Invasion sectors are black sectors with red outlines and an additional icon telling you what kind Invasions they are (Wyrd, Heteroclites, and Pirates in this image).
- Garrison Sectors - These are sectors that contain a Corporation's Headquarters. These are primarily defensive structures used in Alliance vs Alliance PVP, called Garrison Engagements.
- Friendly corporation and alliance sectors are colored orange
- Enemy corporation and alliance sectors are colored red
- Planet Sectors - Every Alliance gets a planet of their own. Members Terraforming their planets can unlock better ships to buy.
- Asteroids can be found in any sector, and can be harvested for resources and experience by tapping on them. Harvesters make you a better space miner!
The Rift is a map expansion to the game. Think of it as a new galaxy. You access the Rift by going to The Black Dollar Menu and Selecting Jump The Rift. You return to the old Galaxy by using the same button, by using Earth Jump, Corp Jump, or Dying in The Infinite Black. You can place Garrisons and Planets in the Rift. The Rift also has a much higher drop rate for items. The Rift is displayed as an 80x80 grid, and contains no Grey sectors.
The Rift is very challenging, and is not for new players! Rift Invasions should be considered to be end-game content for advanced players and Alliances. It is meant for groups, not solo players. NPCs in the Rift can critical hit for over 4500 damage, so be careful!
Rift Jumping in either direction is blocked by Planets, Garrisons, and Invasions. This includes friendly structures.